Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ultrasonic fogger

Status
Not open for further replies.
RuiM said:
So what is need to make the fogger??? any one can please put here a schematic of the fogger please :( :(
he pretty much outlined it in his initial post did he not?

dknguyen said:
he pretty much outlined it in his initial post did he not?

It Seems you did not unsdurstand my question............ But I will make my question in another way/words.........

I am also interested in do an ultrasonic fogger, but did not found any schematic in the google, yahoo, etc...... so I am asking if any of you can put any schematic of a funtional ultrasonic fogger....... and what is the correct frequency.......
Thnks all...

Actually don't have a schematic for mine, came out of a busted humidifier. If you find one though let me know. I don't think mine was intended to be run for very long, driver gets very hot.

Even if you had the schematic, you would need to find a source of a piezo-transducer for it. Probably a better idea to find the transducer, then build the drive circuit to fit its specs.

If this isn't part of some school project, might consider buying one. Remember seeing some in the $20-30 range, just drop in some water and plug it in. Don't imagine this is the sort of thing that can be built better or cheaper at home.

well the piezo transducer i can get, the problem is to know what one to get..(or for what frequency, that is my main question)....... what freq shold it be? every guy in where say a diferent frequency so i have no ideia what is the right one...... any one have an ideia of what frequency does water starts to atomize?

I would like to ask if anybody knows how much and if even these foggers generate RF , I am designing a sytem and I dont want to have issue with FCC since there is a regulation for anything above 9Khz.
Thanks

... They are NOT in the 1.6MHz range! UltraSONIC... think like 40KHz. No mechanical wave works in the megahertz range...

Yes, they are ~1.8 MHz. If you want to name it ultrasonic, well.

I would like to ask if anybody knows how much and if even these foggers generate RF , I am designing a sytem and I dont want to have issue with FCC since there is a regulation for anything above 9Khz.
Thanks

Last time I checked, ~1.6; ~1.8 MHz was radiofrequency. What counts is if it is aired or stays confined within the gadget. The chinese nebulizer manufacturers export to USA seem not scared by the FCC. Measuring the emissions of your circuitry would be convenient along with your design work.

Attached is Xtal Oscillator. Shown crystal is of 1.84 Mhz. However 1.6 Mhz crystal can be used in place of it.

Aily
That circuit will kill both the MOSFET, unless they have a high enough on resistance to limit the current to a safe level.

They do make ultrasonic humidifiers too so googling for that info might help. If you could identify a spare part you'd be able to zero in on something a little quicker. If you've got an appliance parts dealer or store nearby you might find they can show you the part - the cost might be right.

Been to alot of appliance parts suppliers and can't remember ever seeing a piezo transducer. Am I looking in the wrong stores? I would like to know where.

Thanks

Ultrasonic humidifier Ideas

I bought one of the devices from the link, and was dissappointed that the circuit is potted. De-potting with paint stripper may be possible but foul and smelly and may destroy some of the markings on parts:( So I was very happy to see the picture!

Many of the posts seem on the right track.

Yes, the disc is a piezo transducer, it will have a circuit model topology like a crystal (resonator for the true geeks out there). Measuring the element values for the model is the tricky bit. I have a disc (only the small one, so far) and a network analyzer, so I will let you know the model parameters. I have a derivation of the equeations for the element values from a few measured parameters that will pop out a simulatable model.

Yes, the circuit will use an oscillator. The PCB picture makes the circuit reasonably obvious. I believe they are using a single transistor oscillator circuit with a trim cap to tune the frequency. It looks to me that the oscillator drives a resonant (Note the BFCs) power amplifier stage (TO-220). My first guess would be that it is similar to a Peirce oscillator, having 2 (expensive, high voltage and Q) shunt load caps. I have allot of expereience (and scar tissue) with crystal oscillators. And I have studied the Pierce ciruit intensively so the circuit should be a piece of cake! I will take a look at the board layout to verify my assumptions after I measure my disc.

Yes, this sucker is going to burn some power! The Transformer in the link to the Asian website shows 24VAC, 12 Watts, assuming the voltage is rms (as it should be) the max current would be 0.5 Amps rms. My unit is submersible, and is in a cast metal housing. I am certain the power device has a nice thermal contact to the housing, and the sinking will be excellent. My advice is to not burn your fingers and do plan on a beefy heatsink especily if your design is not submersible!

I look forward to cracking this nut, and posting the meat!

Pete White
Alpha EE Geek

Last edited:
Ultasonic humidifier Tranducer model

I followed through on measuring an ultrasonic humidifier (fog machine) resonator disc.

If you have little or no back ground in crystal resonators, most of what follows will be jiberish. Please note that I do not consider buying a crystal slapping it on a IC oscillator and adding 2 caps expereince, no offense. I highly recomend reading https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2009/12/AN-CU_GG_e.pdf for a fundimental understanding of crystal resonators.

I measured the disc as a series 2-port on a 50 Ohm network analyzer and got a suprizingly strong resonance without adding shunt capacitance to each port of the resonator. This is only suprizing becuase I have never measured this type of resonator before and have more experience with crystal and SAW resonators.

I have the small disc from Ultrasonic Water Fogger-The Mist Maker

The disc has many other smaller lower Q resonances, which I ignored, so the model I generate will only be applicable for the primary resonance.

The disc is series resonant at 1.612839 MHz and -0.4 to -0.7 dB
The disc is parallel resonant at 1.83593 and about -20 dB
The 1 dB BW of the series resonance is flow=1.5211MHz, Fhigh=1.679138MHz
I measure the Co of the disc at 10MHz to be about 1.0nF (another surprize, huge!)

From this data I calculate the circuit model using NDK's equations. Please note that NDK uses the component names: L1, C1, R1, Co. I strongly prefer Lm, Cm, Rm and Co, as there should be no confusion on which capacitor is which!

For the small Disc equasions and some minor manual optimazation, I get:
Lm=35.196uH
Cm=276.67pF
Rm=4 Ohms
Co=1.0nF

Note that the Lm and Cm have high precision due to the accuracy of the frequency measurments, don't truncate! Rm was optomized from the series attenuation measurment using PSpice and stray shunt capacitance of 0.5pF on each end of the resonator. Try simulating this with PSpice using a 50 source and load resistance.

I then optomixed the resonator Circuit for the peak amplitude response and got 6.3nF shunt at each disc terminal (Cshunt, NOT Cload!, Cload is approximately Cshunt/2) +3.8dB. The positive amplitude response for a pasive device is probably due to inaccuracy in the broad band calibration I used on the network analyzer and the Q oc the resonator, but is still useful for the peak!

The peak Q is of no practicle interest to the circuit designer, it happens at infinite Cshunt meaning a termination impedance of very close to zero ohms. It is impossible to drive a voltage into a short circuit it always looks like very small voltage and is useless! Around the peak amplitude response of the resonator and circuit is the only practical operating point especialy for a power Amp design!

More updates when I reverse engineer the Circuit picture. Right now my circuit topology guesses are looking pritty good!

Regards,
Pete White

I've been digging for something like this for ages! - There are soo many uses for a ultrasonic fogger/mister I have right now! - ... I also saw these other $$$-like devices, from what I gather it forces the liquid tightly through a nozzel to create the 'fog' that was said to be MUCH finer than a ultrasonic device, however, as I recall it produced minimal amounts more for coating nano objects.. ANYWAYS! PeterWhite seems do know his stuff. I eagerly await your next post, Peter! ... Please make a explaination/guide for the dummies too: I'm epic noob :p

Hello

I've got 2 questions
1)
why the capacitor 1.5n and 33n is high voltage?(the circuit voltage is

40v rms but the capacitors is 400 or 600 volt)?
2)
can you tell me about the oscillator?(how does it work?)

You don't need to filter a square-wave into a sine-wave. The resonance of the transducer is the filter.
I think you must operate the drive at the resonant frequency of the transducer, not at a harmonic.

You use PWM to reduce the amount of drive (why?) but reducing the supply voltage of the driver circuit does the same thing.

Wattage doesn't necessarily tell you if it will do you any harm. Voltage pushes amps through the resistance of a conductor like pressure pushes mass through the constriction of a pipe. But who said anything about 40W?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back