Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

UL or CE certification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosaic

Hi all:

If I create a product using a commercial 115/230VAC to 36VDC power supply that has its UL or CE certification, and the device operates at 36VDC with no other transformer, voltage multiplier, boost regulator or inductive step ups etc; do I need to seek U/L or C E certification again?

It's sort of like using a PSU to charge a cell phone. Cell phones don't need U.L. etc.

In the USA, It Requires UL Certification.
In Canada it requires Either UL or CSA Approval.
In Many Overseas Countries CE is required. (Especially in Europe)

Any ONE of these Approvals will cost you TENS of Thousnds of Dollars and most take a year or two to finalize.

How about if I separate the commercial PSU from the DC side and supply them as two parts with a DC connector?

If it Connects to Power Lines, 110 - 220 VAC or higher, It usually Requires some Certification.
Other Items Also apply to CSA Standards, Such as items that Generate Heat, May be Dangerous in oter ways, or are items used by Chidren, ETC.
I Can't totally Comment on other countries, But in Canada these requires CSA.

However in Some Situations, it can Actually be the END USER who is responsible for the Certification, Not always the Manufacturer.
But the Manufacturer can be held Responsible for Any or all Injuries as a result of using any product.

Some Companies try to Avoid CSA by using Power Adapters that are already Certified. (Wall Warts)
So to Supply Low Power to Electronic Items.
(Example: A 110 to 12 Volts DC Adapter, to power a Laptop Computer)

Some Companies try to Avoid CSA by using Power Adapters that are already Certified. (Wall Warts)
So to Supply Low Power to Electronic Items.
(Example: A 110 to 12 Volts DC Adapter, to power a Laptop Computer)

Well that seems to be the approach. Since the Meanwell PSU has its certifications the low voltage DC side wouldn't need it.

Yes, in the uk you can do this by preparing a technical file explaining the key points and steps you've taken to make the item meet the regs.
I had advice on this a while back, and basically your expected to take steps equal to prodiction qty, if you make a few then you dont have to go to great lengths, if your making 10,000 then you'll need to spend some time on it.

Well that seems to be the approach. Since the Meanwell PSU has its certifications the low voltage DC side wouldn't need it.
Not necessarily true. If your end product, under any possible fault condition, can generate enough heat to start a fire, or boost the low input voltage high enough to be a shock hazard, then it may very well need it's own safety certification. Even the certification of your Meanwell supply is only valid when you operate it entirely within the ratings and parameters of it's certification.

Theres a entry into your technical file, show on paper that your system has been designed so that the meanwell supply will only see conditions for which it was designed, this shows 2 things, you hav eunderstood the specs of the supply and that you have adhered to the manufacts specs.

Hi all:

If I create a product using a commercial 115/230VAC to 36VDC power supply that has its UL or CE certification, and the device operates at 36VDC with no other transformer, voltage multiplier, boost regulator or inductive step ups etc; do I need to seek U/L or C E certification again?

It's sort of like using a PSU to charge a cell phone. Cell phones don't need U.L. etc.
As long as the component is not modified and is a field replaceable part, I believe No
Any mods are verboten.

No mods at all on the 10A rated PSU. On the DC side I have fused at 7.5A, replaceable. Plus there is electronic load limiting in my circuitry.
The PSU can be replaced very easily with a Phillips to loosen the L, N and ground wiring. The housing is a mini tower PC case, that provides ground fault protection for the user.

On January 2nd, 2013, the CE legislation changes! In July 2011, the Recast RoHS Directive was published, and next year becomes enforceable. The six hazardous and restricted substances originally covered by RoHS remain the same, which is good for manufacturers.
Prior to the recast, this was applicable to 8 product categories:
  • Large household appliances
  • Small household appliances
  • IT & Communications equipment
  • Consumer equipment
  • Lighting equipment
  • Electrical & electronic tools
  • Toys, leisure and sports equipment
  • Automatic dispensers

Post recast, 5 more categories have been added (but not immediately):
Medical devices July 2014
In-Vitro Diagnostic devices July 2016