Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

UK Terrestrial TV reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tipsy

How can I run the wall socket outlet to another part of my flat? Using an extension cable, I get NO SIGNAL reported by the digibox (although it appears to have picked up the date/time ok along with the odd program details).

I have a TV signal booster but it appears useless for both analogue and digital use.

As I live in a block of flats my signal comes from a communal aerial so suspect there's already some form of amplification going on?

What do I need to to relay the working signal from the wall socket to other areas of my home? I've considered an AV Remote Sender but have decided it's too limiting for multi-room use.

All suggestions welcome.

Are you wanting to run just one TV off the socket?, or more then one?.

For one, you just need an extension lead - but make one yourself using decent quality coaxial cable and coax plugs. For multiple points use an ampliifed splitter, of as many ways as you need, plus decent quality cabling.

Not all extension leads are created equal. One that I had was a complete black hole for signal.

Does the telly work ok when plugged in with a short cable? If so, a good extension lead should allow you to extend the signal for a reasonable distance, longer with a signal booster.

If your signal is marginal at the socket, you need a better aerial or a better downlead.

Mainly, I will be using just one reciever at a time though I suspect there will be a time when I would want to monitor/record several channels at the same time.

With regard to signal booster, do I require a special type for Digital or will any do?

With regard to how good the delivered-to-the-wall-socket signal is, I have no idea. What I have noticed is that the higher the channel number, the lower the reported signal (a few bar segments) and more prone to distortion but I'm using a USB tuner which may not have the most sensitive tuner on-board? How can I accurately measure it, as it would ideal if I had evidence to present to the housing association?

Mainly, I will be using just one reciever at a time though I suspect there will be a time when I would want to monitor/record several channels at the same time.

With regard to signal booster, do I require a special type for Digital or will any do?

Yes, digital is no different to analogue.

With regard to how good the delivered-to-the-wall-socket signal is, I have no idea. What I have noticed is that the higher the channel number, the lower the reported signal (a few bar segments) and more prone to distortion but I'm using a USB tuner which may not have the most sensitive tuner on-board? How can I accurately measure it, as it would ideal if I had evidence to present to the housing association?

You would require a signal strength meter, which you aren't likely to have.

Great, that's another problem solved! It was my extension cable at fault.
Thanks to every contributor, much appreciated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back