Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

UK mobile phone sim cards and GSM modems/routers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Nigel I will look into wifi, I dont fancy the cable run over a field with cat5. Depends how desperate I get :D, I have used the sil labs chips over 3miles and I have a couple of the wireless dev kits. But WIFI might make it a whole lot easier cheers

You can also do AP - WIFI - AP. AP is an access point. It has different capabilities than a router. You can make a segment WIFI and use a directional antenna.

You can also think fiber.

Fiber would be nice but the terrain is a PITA, the more I think on it the more stupid a physical link looks. I have an old router that has software on for using as a AP, I am waiting for a weather window at the moment!
I always seem to be out or at school when the wind is low enough or the rain isnt too bad to work on it. Its not a normal horizontal turbine its a vertical one, so it isnt like I can turn it away from the wind. It isnt a major priority until after next weekend, by then I need to have an idea what I am going to do.

AP's designed as AP's have more options.That's all I'm saying. I have a router that has a repeater mode and an AP mode, but my AP can do a LOT more.

e.g. Hardwire to AP at turbine, wireless, them another AP and hardwire to network.

Why even think about wire use WiFi. Heck my cellphone uses wifi for making calls at home i think att should pay me. And if we new what you have there may be a way it would just use the wifi the same a cellular data.

I just found out that my "back-up" internet is no more. See: **broken link removed** I could buy access by the hour, day, week and month. neat little WIFI device (pocket router. Just connect, goto account page and add money for plan. Nice for a day at the park, vacation or when your internet service dies. All good things must come to an end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back