Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Type of Terminal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm looking for this type of terminal, what is the proper name for it? I've gone through digikey terminals, but wasn't able to find what I'm after.

You solder the pad and then you're able to have the terminal rub against a wall like a spring. The wall is vertical, so the terminal won't be on a 135 degree angle but 90 degrees, thereby ensuring contact if you know what I mean.

Simple thing, but I don't really want to make them myself.

Attachments

• Component.jpg
    Component.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 121
I've seen things like that used in equipment but never seen them sold as such.

Depending on the size of the individual contacts, you could possibly cut up some form of grounding spring strip "finger" type material into individual sections?

There are thousands of variations of style and shape of that stuff..
eg.
https://www.kemtron.co.uk/emc-shielding-solutions/beryllium-copper-finger-stock/
https://www.orbel.com/sites/orbel.com/files/documents/orbel-fingerstock.pdf
**broken link removed**

[I've been looking for something to make "soft" battery contacts - never thought of this for that job, it was your connect-to-a-wall concept as often used in grounding things that made me think of it! ]

Edit - see the "FSV" type in this one; side contact and fingers 4.3mm wide for the finest pitch versions:
https://leadertechinc.com/assets/files/catalogs/emi-catalog-lr.pdf#page=13

Last edited:
Thanks for the links, Orbel EMI CONTACT RINGS (MALE) looks pretty close to what I'm after depending on how much they cost. At least another option on the table.

I've looked at that style for my requirements; they tend to be very high force - OK for retaining an AA cell but not good for a movable contact.
It depends on your application & how much side load it can stand?

The nearest battery contacts I found that could possibly be suitable have a "Z" bend so rather more flexibility, but the manufacturer has ignored requests for prices.
The type with a sideways coil spring are cheap and readily available.
On the down side, they all seem to have a chrome plating which is not ideal for electrical reliability.

What about those little spring loaded 'bed of nails' type test probes or pogo pins or whatever they're called ...

Could just lay flat over edge of board and solder to pads.

... see example here ... **broken link removed**

There are a few different varieties with different shaped pins.

The ones above are 16.5mm long by 1mm diameter ... supposedly good for 3 amps.

s-l500.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back