Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Type of IR switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raster

Hi Im Raster new here, but Ive been working on a rail gun...Its going to be using a new consept of how to fire a metal pelet, but I dont want to give much of my ideas away... I just want to know how to make a IR switch where when the something passes through an IR beam it would disable a device untill the IR device(that disables the other device) has resets itsself... I know its kinda a stupid question, but I have made probably 10 to 15 diffrent designs and none of them work...

One hint: this is somthing that has to trigger fast because well its a rail gun... if anyone can help me or give any Ideas I would gladly like them...

Ill try to post my schematics soon... 8)

Rail Gun - The projectile slides between two parallel conductive rails and closes the electric circuit. An enormous current flowing in the circuit generates magnetic field and Lorentz force accelerating the projectile.
Direct physical contact between the projectile and the rails ablates both of them. The ablation produces plasma which short-circuits the rails and limits the maximum velocity to about 6 km/s. To reduce the ablation the railgun and its projectile are made of materials having low ionization potential. Filling the railgun with hydrogen gas also reduces the ablation.
Giving the projectile a kick start with a shot of compressed gas is also worth a try.

The basic IR beam sensor, plus the code to interface it to a Stamp.
https://www.me.umn.edu/courses/me2011/robot/technotes/irbeam.html

That wont really work with me because I got to have it when the pellet crosses the beam I need it to completely shut down a coil till I hit a reset button to bring everything back up... and I got the IR detector and emitter down I just need the logical switch. Ive been trying to use an 2-channel AND gate (a standard CMOS chip, forgot the number 4010 I think) by wiring the out to one of the channels(with a diode in between corisponding to the direction of flow) and the other to the IR detector but the didnt work. So is it the type of components Im using?

Another thing, a PIC, an EPROM chip, or a computer, may work..but I dont wana go that extreem.

(If there is any mis spellings please mind it I just burn my right hand fingers while cooking)

[quote="(If there is any mis spellings please mind it I just burn my right hand fingers while cooking)[/quote]

Really ..? for a moment there I would swear that you had picked up your soldering iron by the wrong end :lol:

Post a picture / schematic / circuit or two, let us see what you are trying to do.

Ok, I got my schematics scaned (hi-res :D ). Here they are

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back