Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

two different inputs to photo diode reciever circuit, possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindmywork

i want two different trigger (one time) outputs from a photo diode reciever circuit (at pin no 1), is it possible

im using it for the street light project
idea is to when a normal vehicle comes between ir and photo diode (trigger 1) then street light will lit up with their maximum efficiency.
if a specific vehicle comes (like police, ambulance cars) between ir and photo diode (trigger 2) then street lights and flashing lights too will lit up

Attachments

• circit.png
    circit.png
    61 KB · Views: 231
hi,
You would need a high power pulsed IR emitter to have a TX to RX path as wide as a street.
One problem would be it would also detect pedestrians etc travelling along the street, thru the TX to RX beam.

How do plan to detect a police/ambulance passing thru the TX to RX beam.

We need more information.

E

BTW: Note your posted circuit is a DC operated system which means it will be effected by the ambient light conditions.

I created two different circuits One for street lights,another for flash lights.
All I can't able figure out how to trigger these two circuits with the same photo diode receiver circuit which is connected to the above two circuits.
I have created a ir led and photo diode blockage input receiver for street lights.
All I want is to produce another signal or trigger with the same photo diode receiver to trigger the flash lights also.

hi M,
The IR detector will not detect the 'Blue' flashing light mounted on a Police car etc..

E

Assuming that your detection side works OK, the answer to your question of post #1 is simply connect the output from the LM358 to the two trigger circuit inputs in parallel. It is as simple as that.:)

It is good practice to isolate the output of an operational amplifier (opamp) from the capacitance and inductance of any load, so it would be wise to put one 47 Ohm resistor in series with each trigger circuit input. The resistors should be physically close to the opamp output pin.

As you have not told us what the trigger circuits are, the above statements are based on the assumption that the trigger circuits have an input impedance of 1K Ohms or higher.

Another point is that, as the LM358 opamp is configured as a comparator, it is wise to include some hysteresis so that the comparator changes from one state to another smartly. You can add hysteresis by adding a resistor from the LM358 output to the non-inverting input. The opamp would need a 100nF ceramic capacitor connected physically between its supply pins to help frequency stability and performance.

And one final thing, an LM393 comparator makes a much better... er comparator than an LM358 opamp.:D

spec

Thanks spec for Ur suggestion.

What I need is another trigger pulse from lm 358 when a special car enters. I can't figure it out.
Is there any way I can get a two different output pulses from lm 358.
One pulse to trigger only street lights (white LEDs in my project on the pole)another pulse to trigger street and flash lights(white and red blue flashing on the pole)
I have a idea about adding a ir led to the special car at the opposite direction to the photo diode. But it will give the same output of ir and photodiode blockage circuit? Isn't it?

No probs MMW,

So what you need are two separate detectors to:
(1) Detect all vehicles and produce an output to turn the street light on
(2) Detect the police automobile flashing lights and turn a flashing light on and also turn the street lights on.

Do you agree that this is your requirement?

If so, the hard bit will be the design and development of the two detectors. The rest of the circuitry would be relatively straight forward (famous last words).:)

spec

Thanks for Ur response spec.
Yup that is the requirement.
I built a circuit which will produce a output when ir beam is blocked.
I want the receiver same for the two pulses but the output must be two different pulses which can trigger connected circuits.

I don't want to be using a flashing light of car as input just some another ir led which I will put to car(special ones like ambulances, police,fire engines).

My question is that can I produce two outputs from same ir receiver circuit with change in ir transmitter(I.e ir led in my circuit)

My mother tongue is not English. So please excuse my English a bit.
Your English is fine.:)

Are you saying that the police vehicle can have a special transmitter that you can detect to turn the flashing street lights on?

spec

Our emergency vehicles have very bright white and red flashing lights that are detected and change traffic lights to allow the emergency vehicles through intersections, day and night. Our street lights are all LEDs now so they use low power and are always on at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back