Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Diode Clamped Multilevel Converter

peterwarzeck

Hi Guys, i am stuck with this problem:
The image below shows a single Inverter Leg (phase a) of a Diode Clamped Multilevel Converter with M=4 capacitors.
If a three phase inverter has 3 such identical legs (as shown below) connected in Y with common node at N and line terminals (A,B,C), what is the maximum RMS line voltage possible in terms of E.
1700060411744.png

Based on my understanding, my answer is:
1700060424002.png

My reasoning:
The maximum attainable RMS phase voltage without distortion for one leg is given by M*E/sqrt(2), where M is the number of levels minus one and E is the voltage of one DC source. The relationship between the line voltage and phase voltage in a 'Y' configuration is to multiply the line voltage by sqrt(3). Hence i got my solution.

Please let me know if my method is correct or correct me if i am wrong. Thank you

The circuit you've shown should be able drive the voltage at A between 0 V and 4 * E. That would give the peak - peak voltage of each phase as being 4 * E. The peak voltage would be 2 * E. The RMS voltage would be sqrt(2) * E, and the RMS line voltage would be sqrt(6) * E.

The N point on the circuit would not be the the neutral or star point of a 3 - phase output because the circuit can only drive the voltage positive compared to the N point.

W
The circuit you've shown should be able drive the voltage at A between 0 V and 4 * E. That would give the peak - peak voltage of each phase as being 4 * E. The peak voltage would be 2 * E. The RMS voltage would be sqrt(2) * E, and the RMS line voltage would be sqrt(6) * E.

The N point on the circuit would not be the the neutral or star point of a 3 - phase output because the circuit can only drive the voltage positive compared to the N point.
When u said that the peak voltage is 2*E, then shouldn't the RMS voltage be sqrt(2)*2*E?

I agree with Diver, but your assumptions do not compute.

If N is common to Neutral then how do you generate -ve peak with 3 half bridges connected between A & N to Y{A,B,C} & Neutral?

I think the confusion may be that the 5 state levels are complementary switching.
+1 V/2
+2 V/4
+0 0
-2 -V/4
-1 -V/2 So the filtered Vp is only E and not 2E

Last edited:

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back