Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Two DC motors with time relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenn443

Hi guys.. I need help

Two reversing DC motors, 24V
I need to make circuit what can operate two DC motors. One motor goes forward, other backwards, after one hour they reverses, after other hour they reverses again.. using timing relay i guess ?

Its possible ? I am starting to learn this stuff, and its for me tough..

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Sure it is possible and there are several ways to go about it. To reverse a simple DC motor you reverse power to its power input. Now how you choose to do that is pretty much your call based on the motors as in their voltage and important their rated current. A simple choice would be a DPDT (Double Pole Double Throw) relay. Another option for switching polarity would be an H Bridge circuit.

As to the timing you can build your own or simply buy an off the shelf commercial timer. There are dozens out there with a wide price range that would do it. As to roll your own you could build a timer with discreet components or use a uC (Micro Controller) that you program.

There are also considerations here. If for example you are running a motor with a shaft speed of a few thousand RPM and suddenly decide you want to reverse direction there is a very good chance the motor will become very, very, unhappy thus a stop prior to reversal may be needed.

There you have a few things to consider.

Ron

Tnx Ron :)
Now i have some thing to think about.. DPDT relay is simplest option, I think it would be better then H Bridge, a don't need to build it in real life, I need just make circuit :)
Can you tell me which is The best simulator for circuits ? Multisim ? when i will be done with my circuit i will be needed to check it if it works.

I had to choose AC or DC, DC i guess is easier to revers, switching polarity backwards

But whats up with AC ? can you suggest same options with that ?

Tnx again :)

Many here use LT Spice which can be found here for design and simulation software. There are very good tutorials for it online too.

Back to the motor. A simple DC motor is the better choice. Easier to keep things basic. The use of AC for a single phase motor depends on the motor type / design. When we get into 3 phase AC motors reverse actually for the better part gets easier. My advice is stick with a simple basic DC motor.

Ron

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back