Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TV Transmitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerStrom8

Super Moderator
Hey everyone. It's been a while since I've started a question asking about something, so I thought this might be an interesting question to pose here.

I recently moved into an apartment here in Boston. I bought myself a 32" LED HDTV (it was on clearance for an excellent price) and took it to the apartment, only to find there wasn't really a good place to set it up that was close to the cable jack. I don't have much furniture, so right now I have it on the dining room table which is pushed up against the wall. There's a spot in the corner that would be just perfect, but it's probably 30 feet or so from the jack, and the longest coaxial cable I have is 25 feet. I know you can get in-line connectors to connect cables end-to-end, but I'd rather not do this because the signal quality will be decreased.

Now here's my strange idea, which I'm not sure is even tangible, but I wanted to give it a shot.

I thought it would be interesting to set up a transmitter and receiver. The transmitter would have a direct cable input from the jack, and would be set in a discrete location next to it. The receiver would connect to the cable input of the TV. My hope was that I could use some sort of RF transmission to send the signal from the cable jack to the TV, but I wanted to see what issues might arise from transmitting cable signals over that distance.

I know it seems like a strange request, and it's just a thought that came to mind. I'll probably just end up buying a 50 foot coax cable, but if this would work, I think it would be preferable.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
Regards,
Matt

The Channel3 or channel 4 modulators in older VCRs are a "transmitter" that happen to generate a rather poor "analog" signal which can be tuned on an "over the air tuner". You would have to get a set-top cable tuner box with a channel 3 (or 4) output, boost that output to transmit it over the air, and then receive that with your set in the next room. To change channels, you would have to aim the set-top box remote around the corner :p

I'd find a way to extend the existing cable drop into the other room...

TV in North America is all digital today. Adding an inline connector for two cables or a longer cable probably will not make any difference.
Digital TV cannot be degraded, it either works perfectly or it doesn't work at all.

Thanks guys. That's what I was leaning towards--the in-line connector. But that's another thing--I'd really rather not have wires going across the room, which is why I thought of this in the first place.

I know you can get in-line connectors to connect cables end-to-end, but I'd rather not do this because the signal quality will be decreased.

No it won't, it's a complete fallacy - you wouldn't notice the slightest difference on analogue (or be able to measure any), and on digital there would be even less effect.

only to find there wasn't really a good place to set it up that was close to the cable jack.

You said there wasn't really a good place, but try installing there itself and see how it goes, because the room electrical designer anyway installed the cablejack there itself right.. :p

Wireless idea sounds bit freaky here as you'll need to aim the remote toward the other direction and I've no idea whether there's any wall/obstacles in between.

Extension cable maybe the practical idea, we've air holes near to rooftop of walls separating the rooms so that we could extend it nicely through roof side..dunno how US houses are designed or you people just don't need any air ventilators at all ;)

You said there wasn't really a good place, but try installing there itself and see how it goes, because the room electrical designer anyway installed the cablejack there itself right.. :p

I have it set up there now, and it just doesn't fit right. It wastes space and it gets a glare from the window. I would like to set it up in the other spot, where it won't get a glare or anything, but it's 30 feet from the cable jack.

Wireless idea sounds bit freaky here as you'll need to aim the remote toward the other direction and I've no idea whether there's any wall/obstacles in between.

I was looking into RF transmission, not infrared. Infrared is very iffy.

Extension cable maybe the practical idea, we've air holes near to rooftop of walls separating the rooms so that we could extend it nicely through roof side..dunno how US houses are designed or you people just don't need any air ventilators at all ;)

I see what you mean. The apartment doesn't have any such ventilation, and besides, the tv just has to be set across the room. Not in another room entirely. There are no walls between where the cable jack is and where I want the TV to be.

Here's a product:

**broken link removed**

I think it works on digital channels too, not sure though, but nice product for our analog TV, but is it worth spending money for your typical case as both the spots located in the same room is the question.

I think you should try this wireless thing as you're a Tesla fan.

Here's a product:

**broken link removed**

I think it works on digital channels too, not sure though, but nice product for our analog TV, but is it worth spending money for your typical case as both the spots located in the same room is the question.

Thanks for the link! Alas I do not have $170 to spend. If only they provided the schematic diagram :p

we've air holes near to rooftop of walls separating the rooms
Air holes in the walls?? Really??
In Canada we use forced air for heating and air conditioning. The furnace/air conditioner has an air blower connected to vents in every room.
The bathrooms have ventilation fans that blow steam and stink outside.
When we don't use the furnace or air conditioning or ventilation fans then we open the windows.

Air holes in the walls?? Really??
What to get surprised?, the air vents on the top most of the walls pushes the hot air outside and helps a natural airflow. It has to be designed well for a natural air conditioning experience.
The bathrooms have ventilation fans that blow steam and stink outside.
Same bathroom concept we implemented in here too..:p

I don't think we would ever need a heating/furnace thing, but during monsoon season somtimes the temperatures goes bit below, but still adjusted with hot water for bathing and blankets for sleeping :)

My furnace is set to turn on when the indoor temperature drops below 22 degrees C in the daytime or below 20 at night.
My air conditioning is set to turn on when the indoor temperature rises above 26 degrees C.

Here's a product:

**broken link removed**

According to the specs, it has an analog tuner, not digital.

My cable TV company came and wired 4 rooms and added a splitter for free! Then gave me a 10% discount on my cable TV bill every month. Because they hoped I will throw away lots of my money to them by ordering lots of Pay Per View (I have NEVER paid for it and I never will).

In the good old days I modified my TV to unscramble Pay Per View. The scrambler was suppressed sync with negative picture sometimes.

According to the specs, it has an analog tuner, not digital.

I agree.

But I think the digital TV operation definitely works here using the IR remote repeater technology that you can see on the picture on the link. The digital set-top box is controlled remotely via the IR repeater and the Transmitter takes inputs from AV outputs of the set-top box. This is my assumption.

Do you have digital high definition TV in India like we have here?
TV stations here do not broadcast old analog anymore and my cable TV company also does not have analog TV anymore.

My digital cable box has 999 channels.
I can watch some shows at 4 different times per day because my cable TV company gives me Vancouver on the West coast, Calgary in the mid-West, Toronto in the mid-East and Halifax on the East coast of Canada. Because the signals are digital then the very distant stations are exactly as clear as local stations.

My cable TV company gave me a PVR (Personal Video Recorder) that records TV on its hard drive. No more video tape.

Analog transmission is used by Doordarshan for free-to-air channels that people don't watch anymore.

DTH(Direct to Home) satellite service more common now and is fully digital.

Digital HD channels through DTH https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HD_channels_in_India which are received using STB's with HDMi output and can be connected directly to HD ready TV's for awesome quality. I've seen this only couple of times and I don't use it ;) This should be getting more common in future..

Ultra-high definition TV is coming here soon. It is 4 times clearer than ordinary HD:

An apartment building was shown from a distance.
The standard definition TV clearly showed the apartment building.
The HD TV showed many apartment windows.
The ultra-HD TV showed people inside the apartments.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back