Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TTL Clock with 7447 7490 and 7400 IC's

Status
Not open for further replies.
k7elp60 said:
I disagree, If one uses a cmos version and a good quality film capacitor the frequency can be adjusted to exactly 60Hz and it will be very stable.

Sorry, it would be rubbish! - a crystal is hundreds of times more accurate and stable (if not thousands?) than an RC oscillator.

As far as temperature stability goes, RC oscillators are horribly unstable unless you use matched NTC and PTC resistors and caps for the circuit, at which point why not just use a crystal...

Sceadwian said:
As far as temperature stability goes, RC oscillators are horribly unstable unless you use matched NTC and PTC resistors and caps for the circuit, at which point why not just use a crystal...

And even using the matched temperature coefficient components it's still a LONG way short of a crystals performance! - it makes no sense NOT to use a crystal.

please help 7400 oscillator

hello..
I'm Turkish.my english is very bad.but I must to write the mail.
I want to a oscillator circuit with 7400.Do you understand me.please help me.
have a good time...

berem, What do you want to drive with it ?

What frequency do you require ?

The 50 or 60 Hertz mains frequency is very accurate long term.
Some short term variations may happen, but over a 24 hour period it is very accurate.

A 7400 is a NAND gate, in TTL it is most often use to divide 12, 24 or 60 counters.

Regards, Raymond

You can use an oscillator. They are as easy to use as a 7400 IC. Just provide 5V and the output oscillates at TTL levels, or CMOS if you want.

You can now buy oscillators that contain the dividers so you can obtain them at low frequecies like 50 or 60 Hz.

Hi Barem, if you want to make your own basic crystal oscillator then this site may help you:-
http://www.z80.info/uexosc.htm

I tend to agree with the other posts on here though, you can by a ready made crystal oscillator in a can, same size as a 14 pin chip, some even have a trimmer for accurate setting.
Les

Thanks for posting that schema.

Should't it be 23:59:59 ?

Cheers, Raymond

hi to all.....i m new member......i have to make a digital clock using TTL IC's 7492,7447,74160,7490 etc..............i have read all the threads............but i was very astonished that there was not pin diagrams of these IC's ........any one who can tell me the whole schematic diagram please tell me as soon as possible.............thaks

blueroomelectronics said:
Just download the IC datasheets for the pin diagrams. Prefix SN to make the google search easier. SN7492, SN7447 etc...

You should check out my binary clock (works awesome, uses up quite alot of milliamps (about 500), so it is kind of pointless to run it battery power. I should switch it over to wall plug in :D

Mine was a ton of work, but is really cool. The attachments are the pictures of it. (wrong Computer profile, cant access my pictures :D)

Attachments

• binclock.jpg
    binclock.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 5,213
Last edited:
zhdsdf

Try to Google for data sheets, most of these are standard TTL IC's, otherwise try to get hold of the TTL Cookbook from Don Lancaster.

Cheers, Raymond

aw, you would have had fun with it like my clock :(

Ok here are some photo's of the diagrammes to make it easier for our members who can not find these TTL IC details.

This info is from my TTL Cookbook which i bought years and years ago, but occasionally these are for sale on Ebay.

Info for the 7400, 7408, 7447, 7490, 7492 and 74160 attached.

There are very good PDF files on the internet available as long the LS or SN is put in the search engine ( 74LSxx ) or ( SN 74xx )

Hope this wil help,

Regards, Raymond

edited to improve picture details

Attachments

• DSC03200.JPG
    DSC03200.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 1,345
  • DSC03201.JPG
    DSC03201.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 1,188
  • DSC03202.JPG
    DSC03202.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 1,257
  • DSC03203.JPG
    DSC03203.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 1,056
  • DSC03204.JPG
    DSC03204.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 1,152
  • DSC03205.JPG
    DSC03205.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 961
  • DSC03206.JPG
    DSC03206.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 1,048
Last edited:
hello guys...im a newbie here...

i need ur help, i've been making my own digital clock using this diagram...
**broken link removed**

i already connected the minute and second digits and its working, but the problem is that it doesnt start at 00:00 rather 15:14...pls help me guys...

and if anyone knows how to add a set and reset button...

i appreciate ur help guys, thnx in advance...

and BTW, ive also tried the schema posted by rodalco but i can't understand the labels on the 7490...if its R0(1),R0(2),R90,R91...:confused:

i'd appreciate it if anyone can post a much more detailed schematic...

thnx guys...:)

I am not trying to discourage you, but actually its a clock, then you don't need to have the clock at 00:00 everytime you turn it on, since you already have fast and slow counter to set your clock.

Take a look at the 7490 datasheet for pinout here:

**broken link removed**

cmiiw, to reset the Decade Counter, MR1 and MR2 pin set to Hi. Then it will give Lo output to Q0-Q3 which will make the 7447 set the 7segment to display 0. But it looks like your 10th hour can only display '1' and blank, not '0' and '1'.

good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back