Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

true digital stereo audio amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

mozikluv

:D hi guys,

does anybody have any experience in using TAS5101 true digital stereo amp. w/PWM power output stage?

according to Texas Inst. its a 15w/channel amp. with a 0.4% THD. :D

mozikluv said:
:D hi guys,

does anybody have any experience in using TAS5101 true digital stereo amp. w/PWM power output stage?

according to Texas Inst. its a 15w/channel amp. with a 0.4% THD. :D

I've never used one (or actually heard of one), but the spec looks pretty poor at 0.4% THD.

I don't know about anyone else, but these 'so called' digital amplifiers don't ever seem to approach the quality of an analogue one - and after all why should it, what you're looking for is an analogue output!.

Their main reason seems to be efficiency, using the output devices as switches reduces heat dissipation - as long as you're not too bothered about quality it can reduce the size of the amp considerably.

Higher switching speeds should produce better distortion specification, but a digital amp will never produce an output down into the 0.001% THD area that some analog amps can. As it is, any digital amp will have to have a low-pass filter at the output to kill off the switching artifacts to help the distortion specs. As Nigel mentioned, the Class D switcher's main objective is efficiency. If what you need is 5KW of audio for a rock band concert, a digital system is the way to go.

Dean

digital power amp

:D hi Dean & Nigel,

thanx for the reply, this just confirms my notion about this kind of amp on the distortion factor. :eek:

:D :D :D MERRY CHRISTMAS TO BOTH OF YOU!!!!!! :D :D :D

I've never used one (or actually heard of one), but the spec looks pretty poor at 0.4% THD.

I don't know about anyone else, but these 'so called' digital amplifiers don't ever seem to approach the quality of an analogue one - and after all why should it, what you're looking for is an analogue output!.

Their main reason seems to be efficiency, using the output devices as switches reduces heat dissipation - as long as you're not too bothered about quality it can reduce the size of the amp considerably.[/quote]

The last time I heard a digital amp was a class T device housed in 19U chassis. Pretty good sounding to me, but since the technology is new, and more improvements may come. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back