Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

triac 24v

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's an AC motor I presume? You should onyl use a TRIAC with an AC motor.

TRIAC - switching speed control
relay - just on or off for continuous periods of time

Tr. = transformer? That's only needed if your source voltage is different from the motor voltage (and you would use it in addition to a switching device).

Regarding the switching speed control, it's not as simple like PWM with DC motors. I don't know much about variable speed AC drives so...Most AC motors are designed for constant speed operation.

I'm assuming this is an AC supply, otherwise you want to use PWM and a MOSFET not a triac.

That depends on whether it's an squirrel cage or universal motor; the latter will work and the former won't.

Yes, a properly rated TRIAC should work just fine. I don't think there is a problem with using a TRIAC that can handle 220V in a 24V circuit as long as you can meet the switching requirements in the same way you can use a 800V FET in a 24V circuit.

24V AC is a bit strange though...

Last edited:
More importantly what sort of AC motor is it?

It will only work with universal motors.

if its a Universal AC-DC Motor, you can also use an SCR (like BT169 , if the current is small ),

but the input AC should be made into pulsating DC using a Full wave bridge rectifier

arun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back