Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transparent HUD video in or full Android, Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.

htevents

Hello all,

I recently fitted an Android car radio in my car. I bought an OBD2 bluetooth adapter and use Torque to get OBD data like speed, revs, turbo pressure, etc. As it is in the center console, I have to take my eyes of the road to see the realtime data and that bothers me, so I thought of something and want to have your opinions and knowledge to achieve this if possible and not expensive.

Idea: transparent lcd/oled display in front of the windscreen, with a dimmed backlight (around the sides or on the bottom), so it will also be visable at night.
The display can have video input from a phone or Android mini pc, controlled with another phone or with a mini bluetooth keyboard and trackingpad or (even better but more expensive I think) have a touchscreen. The display will be about 7 inch, so multiple graphs and gauges can be placed in the Torque app, without getting too big. My phone has a 6 inch display and it's a tiny bit too small for a speed, revs, turbo pressure and coolant gauge on the same page.

What would be the easiest, cheapest and safest way to achieve this? Any ideas? For non touch screen, I would guess a transparent 7 inch display, an HDMI input board and a transparent stand to mount it on. For the night backlight I would think to mount an LED strip on the bottom of the stand shining towards the display, shielding it from the outside view, so it won't distract other drivers, at least not too much.

Do you think it is achievable, especially at low cost? If yes, I can't find a place where I can buy LCD displays with input board, but without backlight panel.
I hope to have some input, thanks in advance.

HUDs ( Heads Up Displays) often use an LCD display (phone or tablet) laying on the dashboard with a reverse image, which is reflected by the angled windshield to form an HUD.

This might be easier to implement.

HUD's for windhield reflection are using a preconfigured LED "projection" setup. They are bright enough to reflect on the windshield even in brighter sunlight. A phone or tablet screen is in no way bright enough in those situations, that is why I thought about a transparant display with backlighr from the bottom, so it is usable in bright daylight and night time situations.

Plus, only a tablet has a large enough screen for the number of displayed info I want to use, but I don't want to keep removing the tablet when exiting the car.

For the moment I will leave it for a while, so I can think about this a bit more. 7 inch of screen data in front of you can be a bit distracting maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back