Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transmitter not going up to full FWD Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex@Marvelworx

I just got into Radio Station Installation & Transmission.... On a project recently finished; the forward power is not going up to the maximum power (700 w); only going up to 470. When I did a dummy load with one antenna connected it would reach the peak, but after putting it up on a mast through a power divider and four antennas, I couldn't hit the peak power. That's just after the first day. What could the problem be?

I am using an RVR TEX 702

What is the reflected power?

It really helps to get more information:
**broken link removed**
If you can put full power into a dummy load this makes me think the transmitter is OK but:
but after putting it up on a mast through a power divider and four antennas,
Some thing is wrong in the coax, divider, or antenna. Please send more information or pictures.

Is the antenna tuned for your frequency? Not just FM band but your part of the band.

The forward power is at 478 while the reflected is 70
It is possible that at a SWR of 2.23, the internal protective shut-down circuit inside the transmitter is reducing the output to protect the output transistors...

Do you have a 1kW resistive RF dummy load? If so, what output do you get if you connect the transmitter to the dummy load?

The reflected power is a bit high in my opinion. I agree with MikeMl that your transmitter may be backing off the power to keep from overheating as a result of the SWR being less than ideal. You will have to diagnose why your SWR is only fair.

I apologise in advance
I just have to comment, it scares me that some one playing with a 700W transmitter installation doesn't know how to test his transmission line system
and fault find

is this a private personal system eg -- a ham radio station, or a commercial station ?

Dave

is this a private personal system eg -- a ham radio station, or a commercial station ?
If you have money you can get a radio station.
In most countries you need a license.
Back when I did this; you had to pass tests.

You know he is trying to make a commercial station.

You know he is trying to make a commercial station.

you are most probably right
Its just scary when people are doing this and they have no idea what they are doing and the dangers to be aware of

RF currents that are producing 700W of power can do dreadful things to equipment and the human body if mis-handled, aye

Dave

Unfortunately though there were some remarks put up by davenn And ronsimpson, That in my opinion defeat the purpose of this forum; I think I did mention that I was a newbie.... I saw quite a lot of helpful responses by other members that offered insightful remarks (the likes Mikemi & Dave) of whom when they understand a question tackle the problem not attack and criticize the one that asked. I had not divulged any information as to where I am doing it from but surprisingly, someone already had assumed the where... And how. Which I thought was of no help at all... Just a mere case of "trolling" ( bored let me go through the forum and see who to castigate; coz they are a newbie)...

Next time please... If you don't understand how to deal with a certain problem one has presented (or you don't wanna help out) please leave it to those that do understand; or that want to share their knowledge.

Thanks again to those that offered positive remarks... Please do keep it up

Unfortunately though there were some remarks put up by davenn And ronsimpson, That in my opinion defeat the purpose of this forum; I think I did mention that I was a newbie.... I saw quite a lot of helpful responses by other members that offered insightful remarks (the likes Mikemi & Dave) of whom when they understand a question tackle the problem not attack and criticize the one that asked. I had not divulged any information as to where I am doing it from but surprisingly, someone already had assumed the where... And how. Which I thought was of no help at all... Just a mere case of "trolling" ( bored let me go through the forum and see who to castigate; coz they are a newbie)...

Next time please... If you don't understand how to deal with a certain problem one has presented (or you don't wanna help out) please leave it to those that do understand; or that want to share their knowledge.

Thanks again to those that offered positive remarks... Please do keep it up

Hola Alex,

In this (and other forums) I tend to watch more than contributing. Let us admit that for someone who is dealing with such a power in the final stage, your question sounds frightening, much more if you qualify yourself as a newbie. You cannot avoid that since, as you only know how limited is your knowledge on the matter in question, those contributing here know what is at stake.

Do not complain and be objective while enjoying having your problem solved.

Unfortunately though there were some remarks put up by davenn And ronsimpson,

you couldn't be further from the truth
I was VERY WORRIED about you and your safety dealing with high transmitter powers and that you obviously didn't have any idea what you were doing
This was a VERY dangerous situation for some one who admitted to being a newbie

Dave

Unfortunately though there were some remarks put up by davenn

upload_2017-4-17_11-17-46.png

Alex@Marvelworx .... VERY silly to disagree with the truth

Dave

RF currents that are producing 700W of power can do dreadful things to equipment and the human body if mis-handled, aye
Watch out Dave, that scary current is sqrt(700/50) = 3.7A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back