Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transistor Tester Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCU88

:: Transistor Tester Project ::

Interested in doing an BJT (Bipolar Junction Transistor) -- tester. Like the continuity tester project just completed, it would be an contribution in the form of an article to this site. I have never done an BJT tester before, and I am interested in hearing, or rather "reading" -- your thoughts on how you would go about engineering such an project.

:: Requirements ::
  1. Battery powered with power switch
  2. Identifies NPN or PNP types
  3. Indicates short or open circuit
  4. Uses LEDs to denote conditions and identifications of types
  5. Budget of $3 max in parts (based on Tayda Electronics pricing)

I suggest you look up the Bangood one (Cheap Component Tester thread) - while more complicated than your idea it's vastly more useful.

Going back a number of decades there were simple 555 based transistor testers which probably did what you're talking about - here are a couple of examples:

https://www.555-timer-circuits.com/transistor-tester.html

The one I built was from a design in Practical Television magazine.

I suggest you look up the Bangood one (Cheap Component Tester thread) - while more complicated than your idea it's vastly more useful.
Damm straight that looks tops and is soooo cheap at only 7 pounds (about AUD 14)

Basically I am looking to produce PCBs for a dozen or so 'simple' projects with the intent of selling them in KIT form for a few dollars only later on down the track in an hobby electronics shop...

Excellent. Any ideas on adding extra features to this skeleton design?

Looks like an excess use of not needed parts after seeing the one above.

Little ghost made something like that a while back, he used to frequent this forum.
It was a curve tracer, if thats what you meant.
There is someone selling kits for something similar, but they are expensive, cant remember what its called.

Here is the simplest transistor tester:
Transistor-LED-Tester.gif

SimpleTrTesterTop.jpg

Looks decidedly like a joule thief blocking oscillator.

Nigel, I don't see the longer named circuit working. Resistor R2 is shorted, and reversing the transistor leads under test may yield false readings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back