Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transistor switch circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrL

Hello all,

I've come up with a circuit that'll (hopefully) switch on both a button on a PlayStation controller and a corresponding cold cathode light using transistors. The PlayStation controller is a 3.4v signal while the voltage to the cold cathode is 12v from a separate power supply (wall wart). My questions are, will this circuit work? Must I connect the emitters of both transistors together to a single ground? Will the different voltages affect/do harm to anything? Will sharing/connecting the two grounds affect/do harm to anything? Do I need isolation between the separate 12v/ground and PlayStation signal (3.4v)/ground? Thanks.

LEGEND:

V+: 12v (from external power supply)
GND: ground (from external power supply)
CC_GND: cold cathode ground
CC_V+: cold cathode V+
SW1/SW2: switch pads
PS_SIG: PlayStation signal
PS_GND: PlayStation ground
R1/R2: current limiting resistors
T1: 2N4401
T2: TIP31C

Attachments

• schematic_661.gif
    schematic_661.gif
    10.9 KB · Views: 836
just remove T1 and replace it with optocoupler...

panic mode said:
just remove T1 and replace it with optocoupler...

Alright, thanks. Any suggestions on which optocouplers I should be looking at? And how would I implement it into this circuit?

Okay I was looking at general purpose optocouplers and found the 4N25 and 4N35. Will either of these work for the PlayStation signal? What's the difference between the two?

So I decided to go with the 4N35 since I couldn't find the 4N25 in the Eagle parts list. The schematic's attached. Is this correct?

Attachments

• schematic2.gif
    schematic2.gif
    14.7 KB · Views: 586
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back