Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transistor Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psytrox

Hello,

I've been trying to read up on transistors. But I can't seem to find any good guides as to how they work, and how to do calculations with them. I'm hoping anyone can help me find a good guide, or perhaps make me one :D

- Psytrox

Must not be looking very hard, you should be able to find dozens of page on the net that explain transistor operation. Use google to search for 'how does a transistor work' and read a few dozen of those pages and if you still have questions posts again with what you're having trouble learning and what you want to be able to do.

Wow, who would have thought about searching for something as obvious as that! I searched a long the lines of "transistor guides", "transistor 101" etc. and didnt find those sites very usefull.

Learning how to manipulate search terms to get good results is something you should try to learn, it's amazing what simply changing a few words around to vary the meaning can end up finding you. The way I look at it is the Internet has the bulk majority of human knowledge accessible, if you know to find it. Google is actually relativly decent if you use English sentences as well. So before posting a question here try one or two variations of it on the net and see what you get, if that information wasn't what you're looking for post here and if you've done even a little bit of research people will generally go out of their way to help.

I'm making an amplifier using one transistor (BC546B).
If you look at the attachment you can see what the circuit looks like. The calculations of the amplifier is done with the assumption that 2mA (which is maybe a bit high, but its only homework, not actually going to make it) is going through Re.

Could anyone help me as to how to calculate the values of the capacitors. As you can probably see from the attachments, they are way off, atleast C2 is.

The way i got 12,46µF is by doing:

Wc = 1/(ReC)

C = 1/(ReWc) and i want Wc to be 50Hz.

C = 1/(1604*50) = 12,46µF

When i look at the simulation of the curcuit (see the second attachment), the Wc looks like its closer to 600Hz.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Jan. 14 21.21.gif
    ScreenHunter_01 Jan. 14 21.21.gif
    6.1 KB · Views: 256
  • ScreenHunter_02 Jan. 15 16.34.gif
    ScreenHunter_02 Jan. 15 16.34.gif
    11.9 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips