Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transistor equivalent

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread "switching LED" That I've been involved with has also morfed. The whole point is it's a project and it's in chat.
I don't even know what to call it. It is the design of an "air flow" testing system to evaluate engines, I think. However, instead of being in question/answer form, it's been in a advisory/mentor form. The last portion of the thread after a LONG lapse was involved in testing a PID phase angle controller for a universal motor.

The actual "switching LED" has evolved from indicating pressure with an LED, to some discussion of selecting setpoints via a rotary encoder (never taken to completion), BCD switches to a comprehensive Arduino control using a PC software package that has graphing for the HMI.

Incidentally, I never knew where this project was going to end up.

In my old neighborhood, I was used to a thread being about one topic and new threads are generally created so different experts get involved and comment, newbies bother to can through 10 to 30 posts and add to the discussion. With 800 posts, it becomes kind of an exclusive conversation because it just takes too much effort to get up to speed. I was just surprised at how long this thread lingered on. Now I understand. I have no pull here and didn't mean to disrupt local convention.

This thread "switching LED" That I've been involved with has also morfed. The whole point is it's a project and it's in chat.
I don't even know what to call it. It is the design of an "air flow" testing system to evaluate engines, I think. However, instead of being in question/answer form, it's been in a advisory/mentor form. The last portion of the thread after a LONG lapse was involved in testing a PID phase angle controller for a universal motor.

The actual "switching LED" has evolved from indicating pressure with an LED, to some discussion of selecting setpoints via a rotary encoder (never taken to completion), BCD switches to a comprehensive Arduino control using a PC software package that has graphing for the HMI.

Incidentally, I never knew where this project was going to end up.

I envisaged an amplifier being evolved that Nikolai would have been happy to build and would have enjoyed listening to, without having spend a fortune.

I am glad that a new thread has now been formed so that we can build on what has been learned on this thread to define a final system for Nikolai. I also hope that the sniping and unwarranted contradictions on this thread by certain parties do not continue on the new thread.

Last edited:
I havnt read all this yet!! but its so good and full of info shouldnt it be moved into radio and coms? At least it would be in view longer. Or with permission of the main people how about some pruning out the odd post with **** chat and shrinking it a bit and making it a sticky in the radio section?
I am going back to finish reading it!! Great thread packed with info/

Nikolai

Nothing better than thinking of yourself first of all. That makes you fill alive! At least you were / are consistent with your answer to my early PM. Do you remember?

Anyway, there is another way to consider threads and posts: a repository of knowledge as exhibited here by spec with one aspect, the length of this, what makes literally impossible to browse for anyone interested in the future.

In so many years riding different forums, I found just one (VERY) long thread worth the effort (in Microchip forum) but the subject there was not a design.

I even heard here that the concept of "owner of the thread" crept in this site too. That, united to attitudes like yours makes this not a forum but who knows, kind of chat mixed with question/answer service?

I admire spec's good disposition. If such a thing is possible I feel a healthy envy of his knowledge and experience. :)

Enjoy your thread.

I had a car that came with 2 ohm speakers on the rear shelf and its 10" subwoofer had its amplifier with a voltage stepup power supply.
Look at these car subwoofers:
ag was this detrimental to your hearing loss? or necessary level to hear from other causes?

My father lost much of his hearing late in life after months of target practice during the war in the RCMP training without ear protection at that time being unknown to be essential.

It looks like a good jackhammer for testing car window integrity too.

Happy new year

When I was 69 years old I was not aware of my high frequency hearing loss and I did not know that it is a normal part of aging. I thought that radio and TV "engineers" hid the microphones under clothing then they did not pickup the high frequencies in the announcer's speech and I also thought that today people mumble when they talk. I got a hearing test that shocked me (then two more as second and third opinions) two years ago, had demos with two brands and bought what I have now.

My hearing aids have AGC on most settings but AGC is turned off on the Music setting and I am amazed that they do not overload even when music is playing very loudly. Also my hearing aids produce no hiss or rumble noise and no distortion.

When I was 69 years old I was not aware of my high frequency hearing loss and I did not know that it is a normal part of aging. I thought that radio and TV "engineers" hid the microphones under clothing then they did not pickup the high frequencies in the announcer's speech and I also thought that today people mumble when they talk. I got a hearing test that shocked me (then two more as second and third opinions) two years ago, had demos with two brands and bought what I have now.

My hearing aids have AGC on most settings but AGC is turned off on the Music setting and I am amazed that they do not overload even when music is playing very loudly. Also my hearing aids produce no hiss or rumble noise and no distortion.

Audioguru,

I remember reading some of your comments as you tested various hearing aids. Which hearing aid brand/model did you settle on?

Do you wear them all the time or just when you are in crowds/listening to music/...

How long do batteries last (with some brief commentary on usage conditions).

Thanks in advance - I'll likely be shopping soon.

I didn't like the sound (or the setup) of Widex brand hearing aids at the first hearing clinic where I got a free hearing test and demo. But at the second clinic the results of the hearing test was the same and I liked the setup and performance of the Phonak Audeo B-312 hearing aids. Then while wearing the Phonak demo aids I bumped into a clinic promo at a Costco store so I went for a third hearing test (same results as the others) and discovered their very low price for Phonak.

I looked at the Phonak website and the hearing aids at Costco were not shown. A phone call to Phonak revealed they are an old model still made for Costco but missing some modern features.
I wear them all the time, but not in the shower or when it is raining and I am walking. Sometimes I fall asleep wearing them at night listening to my souped-up clock radio. Batteries last for 8 days and give a half-hour warning "low baddery". Newer ones use a rechargeable "baddery". I use the Music Mode (very clear and wideband but with anti-feedback turned off) most of the time but use the Automatic Mode (with noise reduction) in stores and malls.

The hearing aids came with a wireless Bluetooth transmitter that transmits my sound system or TV sound to them but I don't use it because my hearing aids setup corrects only high frequencies then it has no bass sounds. Maybe I will ask for a Bass Mode programmed so I can use the Bluetooth module.

I didn't like the sound (or the setup) of Widex brand hearing aids at the first hearing clinic where I got a free hearing test and demo. But at the second clinic the results of the hearing test was the same and I liked the setup and performance of the Phonak Audeo B-312 hearing aids. Then while wearing the Phonak demo aids I bumped into a clinic promo at a Costco store so I went for a third hearing test (same results as the others) and discovered their very low price for Phonak.

I looked at the Phonak website and the hearing aids at Costco were not shown. A phone call to Phonak revealed they are an old model still made for Costco but missing some modern features.
I wear them all the time, but not in the shower or when it is raining and I am walking. Sometimes I fall asleep wearing them at night listening to my souped-up clock radio. Batteries last for 8 days and give a half-hour warning "low baddery". Newer ones use a rechargeable "baddery". I use the Music Mode (very clear and wideband but with anti-feedback turned off) most of the time but use the Automatic Mode (with noise reduction) in stores and malls.

The hearing aids came with a wireless Bluetooth transmitter that transmits my sound system or TV sound to them but I don't use it because my hearing aids setup corrects only high frequencies then it has no bass sounds. Maybe I will ask for a Bass Mode programmed so I can use the Bluetooth module.

You are the best! Thank you.

Sadly, posts on this subject are becoming more pertinent :arghh:...

...pardon!
My hearing is going south. (tinnitus, and, oddly enough, higher frequencies being subdued).

Off topic comment (often a prob with threads of this length if joined late in the game...). My apologies.

My hearing is going south. (tinnitus, and, oddly enough, higher frequencies being subdued).

Off topic comment (often a prob with threads of this length if joined late in the game...). My apologies.

Yes it is quite funny how this thread attracts a lot of different topics.

Hearing is a subject that would recieve wide interest and, in my opinion, it would be better as a thread in its own right (which I have mentioned to ETO admin).

spec

Last edited:
Yes it is quite funny how this thread attracts a lot of different topics.

Hearing is a subject that would attract wide interest and, in my opinion, it would be better as a thread in its own right (which I have mentioned to ETO admin).

spec

Part of an Audio subforum maybe?

BTW, tested one Widex yesterday and another brand next Tuesday to improve my declining hearing.

Part of an Audio subforum maybe?

BTW, tested one Widex yesterday and another brand next Tuesday to improve my declining hearing.

I would keep the sub-thread to Audio equipment (receivers, play-back equipment, recording, microphones, ...). Amp design and chips should stay in general or projects areas. Just my 2-cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back