Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

toy plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

desigirl36rocks

I want to build a toy fly plane having four arms powered by 9v-18v battery. can anyone help me in this? i wanted to know the motors and circuit as i dont intend to fly it outdoors. this plane only rises up in air and travels forward slowly. it is meant just for kids under 10.

An airplane needs to be extremely light weight to fly slowly.
Look on the internet at Air Hogs products. They have helicopters and small airplanes that use a tiny 3.6V Li-Po rechargeable battery, a tiny motor like the vibrator motor in a cell phone and a tiny IR receiver circuit that controls the remote controls. The helicopters and airplanes are made of lightweight styrofoam. They are very inexpensive.

It sounds like you are describing what is called an ornithopter. It is a class of airplanes where the wings flap, and it flies very slowly. Rubber band powered models can fly up to 45 minutes or so, but they are pretty exotic. In fact, just building a flying ornithopter is pretty exotic. I suggest you consider a standard airplane (not helicopter) configuration.

For plans, go to the Academy Model Aeronautics (AMA) at Academy of Model Aeronautics

John

jpanhalt, you might want to re-think those preconceptions about ornithopter flight.
Nnoooot a good idea for 10 year olds, but you can also buy flapping RC toy 'birds' in toy stores nowdays.

The OP want to "build" one. My reply was meant to discourage that. I used the term "exotic" to mean complicated and difficult, i.e., not recommended. Sorry, if you thought I was recommending that 10-year-olds get involved in exotic things.

BTW, while I have never built an ornithopter, I was in a club where a member did and held the record for indoor flight. His model used boron fiber for its frame and circled slowly over our heads for at least 30 minutes during a meeting in a small school library. Boron fiber for construction is at least to me exotic. I would strongly advise against using it by a novice or by even more experienced builders who are unfamiliar with its dangers.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back