Tools of the trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased this: Philips Fluke PM3335 60MHz Digital Oscilloscope and was wondering if it includes any of these listed below? I am new to all of this, and wondering what other tools I need to accomplish my goal of diagnosing and repairing common household electronics such as radios, alarm clocks, tvs, etc.

Also, does this combiscope I bought act as a logic pulser, frequency counter, sweep generator, spectrum analyzer, signal injector, or static meter? If not, which ones does it include if any?

I am looking at also purchasing a logic pulser and frequency counter (if the combiscope I am purchasing doesn't include those options. IDK as I am a beginner at all of this). Can someone please explain to me the purpose of these and what they tell you or do? lol

Any suggestions on a Good, Cheap Component analyzer and an ESR Tester?

I am looking at this ESR Tester: **broken link removed**

Last edited:
I'd suggest you look at slowing down on buying things until you know what you need and why you need it. An inexpensive function generator could be a handy tool to have to go along with your scope. You can use it to estimate the ESR of capacitors; no need to buy a fancier tool until it no longer works sufficiently well. There are also numerous plans for building your own ESR meter on the web -- tackling such a project will get you some good troubleshooting skills as well as more knowledge on building/fixing things. You'll also want to spend some time finding some good probes for the scope, connection cables, and adapters. Personally, I long ago standardized on RG-58 coax cables with BNC connectors and 4 mm banana plug cables (but i use the coax stuff the most).

- Low frequency AM radios 560KHZ - 1500 KHZ ( or so ) Also good for audio circuits, amplifier stages, power supplies.
alarm clocks
- Should be good to go.
- Same as for radios. Many systems of TV's can be examined with your scope. Dont' use on RF portions, High voltage or Horizonal Output Amplifier.
- Like what?
Also, does this combiscope I bought act as a logic pulser
- Look in the documents.
frequency counter
- If not, frequency can easily be determined using the 'scope
sweep generator, spectrum analyzer, signal injector, or static meter
- The manuals will answer all these questions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…