Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tools of the trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased this: Philips Fluke PM3335 60MHz Digital Oscilloscope and was wondering if it includes any of these listed below? I am new to all of this, and wondering what other tools I need to accomplish my goal of diagnosing and repairing common household electronics such as radios, alarm clocks, tvs, etc.

Also, does this combiscope I bought act as a logic pulser, frequency counter, sweep generator, spectrum analyzer, signal injector, or static meter? If not, which ones does it include if any?

I am looking at also purchasing a logic pulser and frequency counter (if the combiscope I am purchasing doesn't include those options. IDK as I am a beginner at all of this). Can someone please explain to me the purpose of these and what they tell you or do? lol

Any suggestions on a Good, Cheap Component analyzer and an ESR Tester?

I am looking at this ESR Tester: **broken link removed**

Last edited:
I'd suggest you look at slowing down on buying things until you know what you need and why you need it. An inexpensive function generator could be a handy tool to have to go along with your scope. You can use it to estimate the ESR of capacitors; no need to buy a fancier tool until it no longer works sufficiently well. There are also numerous plans for building your own ESR meter on the web -- tackling such a project will get you some good troubleshooting skills as well as more knowledge on building/fixing things. You'll also want to spend some time finding some good probes for the scope, connection cables, and adapters. Personally, I long ago standardized on RG-58 coax cables with BNC connectors and 4 mm banana plug cables (but i use the coax stuff the most).

- Low frequency AM radios 560KHZ - 1500 KHZ ( or so ) Also good for audio circuits, amplifier stages, power supplies.
alarm clocks
- Should be good to go.
- Same as for radios. Many systems of TV's can be examined with your scope. Dont' use on RF portions, High voltage or Horizonal Output Amplifier.
- Like what?
Also, does this combiscope I bought act as a logic pulser
- Look in the documents.
frequency counter
- If not, frequency can easily be determined using the 'scope
sweep generator, spectrum analyzer, signal injector, or static meter
- The manuals will answer all these questions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back