Too funny

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerStrom8

Super Moderator
Hey guys!

So something just happened to me that made me chuckle. I logged into my second facebook account this morning--my account under my screen name Der Strom--and found this message:

I found this to be absolutely hilarious, as "Strom" is not my real name and this is obviously a scammer. Anyway guys, my point is to watch out for this "Thomson Yves". Don't let him fool you (I'm sure you all are smart enough not to believe this sort of thing anyway)

That's all. Just wanted to share

Regards,
"Matt"

Also we need your account numbers so we can transfer the US$9.6 million into your account.

hi D8,
I got a letter the other day, from a supposed Japanese Banking official, about a millionaire who had died intestate as a result of a road accident in Japan.

I was the sole family named beneficiary for his estate, he would split the money 50/50 if I put in a claim.!!

The rest of the wording was almost identical to your email.

E.

Also we need your account numbers so we can transfer the US$9.6 million into your account.

Hahaha, I've come across that one before!

Go figure. Really makes you wonder how many people actually fall for these emails. Is it really that effective that they think it's worth doing it over and over again?

I have no doubt this "Thomson Yves" is an alias, and that there are many more, in many other parts of the world. I guess the only thing I can tell people who get these kinds of messages is to use common sense. If you think your family member might have actually passed away, make some phone calls to other members of your family to verify. Never just assume they're telling you the truth.

Hi Der,

I have gotten emails very much like that one so many times now i lost count. They always want information but sometimes they even want 'small' amounts of money like 50 dollars with the promise of much much more for that small 'fee'. They make it sound like a good deal where they send you 50 thousand dollars for the price of a dinner for two at a reasonable restaurant.

I'd laugh but i cant find it funny. I have read about many of these scams at the local bank i use and people do actually fall for these things as strange as they sound.

Lot of emails from Russia asking for money straight out.

One case was where a gal made friends with a guy from the USA on some chat site and it seemed normal until suddenly one day everyone in her family had to go to the hospital for one reason or another and she desperately needed money wired to her on an almost daily basis. The sad part is you dont know if they really had some sort of health problem in their failing country and really needed any support they could get, or just wanted to make some extra cash for whatever.

Last edited:
Eric... Mine was from the same guy as you.... but my name "Rogers" only goes back two generations in my family.... Losers !! the lot of them.

I had a letter in the post last year claiming that I had won big on a European lottery, somewhere in spain IIRC.

Can't remember the full details of the letter, but they wanted contact and banking information.

My heart raced at first, briefly, until I remembered that I hadn't and have never put a stake on any Euro lottery.

In the heat of the moment, I wonder how many people actually get taken in and subsequently fleeced, by being presented with the potential "opportunity" to have their life changed...

The trap is set.

this reminds me of the famous ebay laptop scam where the scammer got scamed big time lol. unfortunately alot of the time people get caught because of there own greed, like thinking youve won a lottery youve never entered

Derstrom... could I get some help here?

Derstrom... could I get some help here?

Hahahaha! That's hilarious! The grammar alone is so horrible that it would tip most sensible people off that this is bogus!

I would have suggested using a second email address for this sort of thing, so that you can close it if need be. Since he has your email address now, I guess it doesn't matter too much. Did you say you also got this message over facebook? If so, I wonder if you ought to just tell him that, and copy and paste the message into an email saying it's the best you can do.

I actually did use an email account I have set aside. I actually have half a dozen or so, for varying levels of importance. (Also handy for trolling...)

I do have a facebook account associated with this email address, but he hasn't contacted me there yet.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003667627781

If you don't have the original message, I'll just come up with an outlandish reason why I can't give it to him and let it go at that, lol

Oops, I think I misunderstood. I thought you were saying you also got a similar message,and were responding to that. I suggest you just say that he sent it to your facebook, and that you've copied and pasted the original message. Just replace "Der Strom" with "Buster Adams":

This is getting better and better by the second

Last edited:

my bad... I should have looked at the OP, I didn't realize I was asking you for something you already posted!

Thanks so much...

Wait a second! Derstrom, you didn't treat this with the utmost of confidentiality! Now you won't get the money!

Here we go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…