Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Too close for comfort

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan1

G'day Guy's,
On the way home from work yesterday, listening to the cricket on the radio a warning came over about a bushfire. When they said the fire was located at Sawpit Gully and Ding Dong road and travelling south-east, I went oh ****** thats headed for my place. When I got to sawpit gully road it was blocked off and I told the cop I lived on the road. He let me through and I told the CFS guys I had a big dam out the back which they could get water from. I took my backhoe over to the back of the farm and quickly scratched a road out for the tankers. Anyway they got the fire under control and my place wasn't burnt. The pic below is 3 doors up and it will give buyers a reality check for sure.

Cheers Bryan

016.JPG

Well good thinking on your part. I sure bet the Fire crews appreciated your help. I will be on the fire line soon. I finish my EMT class in a week then I start the Wildland Fire Academy in Jan.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had one last year that got a bit close. This was taken from my back yard.

Mike.
bushfire-jpg.48683

Attachments

• bushfire.jpg
    bushfire.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
Wow, that was close.

Glad all of you didn't get hurt, or have your house burnt to the ground!

Last edited:
What's a paddock and a bore as listed on that for sale sign?

Last edited:
What's a paddock and a bore as listed on that for sale sign?

wonders if a few sheep left Hitech,s paddock in his mind

Don't know what weird name you yanks would call a property that fenced into 3 paddocks and what name you would call bore. Nigel is on the otherside of the world and hit the nail on the head first time......

Cheers Bryan

Don't know what weird name you yanks would call a property that fenced into 3 paddocks and what name you would call bore. Nigel is on the otherside of the world and hit the nail on the head first time......

Yeah, but Australia is a commonwealth country :D

The Americans seemed to like changing the names for things.

A bore? We call it a well. A paddock would be a pasture, indicating enough space for livestock to graze. If the 'paddock' is small we call it a fenced yard.

The Americans seemed to like changing the names for things.
Yeah, a rubber is not an eraser but a contraceptive. :D

I live in a civilized city, not in a desert.
There are no bush fires.
Water, natural gas, electricity, cable TV and telephone come from pipes in the ground. The sewer is a pipe in the ground that goes to the sewage treatment place.
There are fire hydrants with plenty of water for the fire department to extinguish house fires.

The Brits call water, "wo-tah". The Americans call water, "wahddah". Canadians call water, "water".

Last edited:
There are no bush fires.
Water, natural gas, electricity, cable TV and telephone come from pipes in the ground. The sewer is a pipe in the ground that goes to the sewage treatment place.
There are fire hydrants with plenty of water for the fire department to extinguish house fires.

The Brits call water, "wo-tah". The Americans call water, "wahddah". Canadians call water, "water".

And HIGH technology in Canada is any device containing the NEW and POWERFUL 741 Operational Amplifier

;)

NEW and POWERFUL 741 Operational Amplifier is used only by old teachers.

I guess it shows how things vary from one location to another. Around here its a common country practice to burn off our yards, ditch's, and fields in the fall. :)

A big cloud of smoke like what you guys have in the pictures is so common place here it doesn't even raise any attention. :p

I think the fire Pommie is referring to resulted in about 200 deaths in 09. There is a difference between a controlled burn and a out of control wildfire.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I guess it shows how things vary from one location to another. Around here its a common country practice to burn off our yards, ditch's, and fields in the fall. :)

It's basically a practice mainly used now in primative countries :p

There's still a small amount of it done in the UK, usually just burning off stubble - but in many areas even that's illegal.

Certainly in Australia, and in many parts of the USA, these types of 'bush' fires are extremely dangerous, and regularly cause devastation.

It is also against the law in Canada to burn leaves in the fall due to the air pollution caused. My piles of leaves at the curb are vacuumed away ans chewed up by a city truck. Broken trees are mulched on the spot by a very noisy "chewing" machine. Fireplaces will soon be banned. I hope that smoking stinking diesel busses and truck engines will soon be banned.

There are no bush fires.

Spoken by a true native of Canukistan..

I have yet to run across a fellow US citizen that pronounces it "wahduh".... even the southerners with their drawl don't say it like that. Oh wait a minute, sometimes a 3yr. old child may pronounce it like that but, they are understandably excused due to their age/development. I seem to remember something where Canadians pronounce it "waiter" !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back