Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

to use or not to use stepper

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkh

hi i'm kinda doing a project right now.i need to drive a vehicle of load 4.5-5kg.i thought of using dc motors.but no time to make gears.so if i use stepper motor,
1)can i couple it directly to the wheel for this load?
2)is the stepper used in floppy drives enough?
3)is there a better way to control direction and speed than to use bcd counter + decoder+driver?

mkh said:
hi i'm kinda doing a project right now.i need to drive a vehicle of load 4.5-5kg.i thought of using dc motors.but no time to make gears.so if i use stepper motor,
1)can i couple it directly to the wheel for this load?

Yes, but it might not have enough power - you may need to try different stepper motors, bear in mind you will also probably need a fairly high voltage to feed them (48V?).

2)is the stepper used in floppy drives enough?

Probably not!.

3)is there a better way to control direction and speed than to use bcd counter + decoder+driver?

Use a micro-controller, or a specific stepper driver IC, but as you are already using a micro-controller (presumably?) you may be able to use spare pins on that.

I haven't seen any stepper which can carry tht much torque. Why can't u go for some readymade geared motors available everywhere. Stepper motor always lacks good torque.Hi mkh, u r from India then u can get motors from Mumbai( u will get good geared motors). See the shops section of www.roboticsinida.com

Bibin John
www.booksbybibin.tk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back