Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

To Try Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think maybe my next hard drive crash I will take a look. Do you run Eagle CAD? Problem is I own Photoshop and other that I am not sure will run.

I guess with the snap shot mode, load Windows, load the few programs I need and just use that, I am not rid of Windows, but not locked into it. Seems like I did this with OS2 before. I really liked OS2.

mramos1 said:
I guess with the snap shot mode, load Windows, load the few programs I need and just use that, I am not rid of Windows, but not locked into it. Seems like I did this with OS2 before. I really liked OS2.

I really liked Amiga OS - and it multitasked properly - but that's even longer ago!.

Anyway, it's nice to meet the person who used OS2! :D

I haven't tried OS/2 but from what I've read it sounded like a half decient OS. The only thing I don't like the sound of is that it wasn't very secure so if it had dominated then we would've still had the same problems as we have with Windows.

Nigel Goodwin said:
I really liked Amiga OS - and it multitasked properly - but that's even longer ago!.

Anyway, it's nice to meet the person who used OS2! :D

It was a great OS. Maybe ole Bill bought IBM out.

Was the Amiga a Moto 68XXX processor? I never did get to play with one.
But I heard they were nice. I probably went the other direction in hardware at the time, or the budget back then stopped me ;) Or might be when my wife wanted kids over electronics :D Boy was that an expensive venture (that is not over).

Hero999 said:
I haven't tried OS/2 but from what I've read it sounded like a half decient OS. The only thing I don't like the sound of is that it wasn't very secure so if it had dominated then we would've still had the same problems as we have with Windows.

Two good friends were developers. IBM and MS did a 50/50 share on source code. OS/2 has the ring layers and were "very" secure (NT technology). In fact, the NT/2000 kernel was OS/2. If Nigel booted an NT machine he would see bootup and think it was OS/2..

So MS got to take the source and IBM did as well.. Or certain parts. That is the way I heard it over many lunches. I worked for a PABX company on Yamato Rd in Boca Raton Florida. We could see each others Windows. Sure IBM did OK on the deal since they seemed to drop out of the OS world.

The head of video drivers development for OS/2 (was a contracter no less) had something about his internal body makeup. He could eat unlimited Jalepineo (sp) peppers. We would go to Mex places and he would ask lots on the side and he would tell them he really likes a lot of them, and just pour them down his throat. Was funny to see the waiters face.

I miss the old days..:D

I'm going by Wikipedia, of course it could be wrong though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS/2

OS/2 has very few native computer viruses.[27] Its design possibly could have made it as vulnerable as Windows, but its reduced market share appears to have discouraged virus writers. There are, however, OS/2-based antivirus programs, dealing with DOS viruses and Windows viruses that could pass through an OS/2 server.

Hero999:

We might have it figured out, the unemployeed IBMers are hacking there own code that Bill is using. :) Kidding, but it would not surprise me. OS2 was good stuff.

The boys I hung out with were good at the bigger chip high level OS stuff. I was doing Moto HC11 and and 68K back then and saying that Intel crappy chip can never fly with 64K banking, etc. But money talks..

I could be wrong...

mramos1 said:
It was a great OS. Maybe ole Bill bought IBM out.

Was the Amiga a Moto 68XXX processor? I never did get to play with one.
But I heard they were nice. I probably went the other direction in hardware at the time, or the budget back then stopped me ;) Or might be when my wife wanted kids over electronics :D Boy was that an expensive venture (that is not over).

yup Amiga's were based upon Motorolas 68K processor, fantastic chip.
The one thing abt the AMiga (mmm my A1200 should still work...) was that the OS was on the ROM, you could boot the amiga and it would boot silly-fast! (and if things went wrong you could still get to the minimal OS to fix things - really wish PC had that with their BIOS, but LiveCD's next best thing)

Also to this day the only desktop PC (single core/CPU machines) that could really do Mulittasking, even XP cant (the good-old format floppy test is valid enough)

Styx said:
yup Amiga's were based upon Motorolas 68K processor, fantastic chip.
The one thing abt the AMiga (mmm my A1200 should still work...) was that the OS was on the ROM, you could boot the amiga and it would boot silly-fast! (and if things went wrong you could still get to the minimal OS to fix things - really wish PC had that with their BIOS, but LiveCD's next best thing)

Only a small part of the OS was in ROM, most was on the floppy disk - a standard technique though was to create a RAM Disk and copy the DOS commands to that so they ran super fast. I used a HDD on mine for many tears though. The DOS was based on Unix, with long filenames and case sensitivity - something MicroSoft also never got round to!.

Also to this day the only desktop PC (single core/CPU machines) that could really do Mulittasking, even XP cant (the good-old format floppy test is valid enough)

Yes, they were great - full multitasking, hires colour graphics, digital stereo sound, seperate co-processors for various functions (such as graphics moves), and a great GUI. All back before IBM PC's, which came out with text only mono screens, no sound, and no GUI (obviously).

For those Babylon 5 fans, the graphics were originally all done using Amiga computers.

Microsoft could never have there OS in ROM. They could not afford the size and the postal services would wipe them out with all the returns for updates.

They need a safe mode CD with internet access that maps the local hard drives, then it will be easier to get the virus programs to clean the machine. I have a Bart CD I use for that.

To anyone who hasn't used linux lately I would suggest grabbing a "Linux Magazine" and use the DVD to install on another partition or buy a s/hand drive and plug it in for the purpose.

Just use it for your email and web browsing. You wil be supporting Linux ,worrying Bill and learning a little each time if you want to. It gives a far better understanding anyway of what goes on in Windows.

Non existent adware or viruses (generally speaking ) as no downloaded program can run automatically . Its fixed that way . You have to make it executeable. Just using it will make both system owners keener , Windows will get cheaper and more open and Linux will get a leg up.

Iv'e been using it for 3 years now and only use Windows for Quickbooks cause I cant be bothered to install VMWare or Wine to run it . I am always looking at the new Distros so I am lighter on my feet without both of these.

I don't think WinXP has real multitasking, but the UNIX-es (BSD, Solaris, Linux, Sys-V) definitely do...

HI I tried to install linux on my pc.I got a cd of Ubuntu LTS 6 Live CD.The cd doesn't work on my system.It boots and then then it hangs!Is it necessary to create a linux partion on hard drive before running live cd!

No it isn't, that's the whole point of a live CD.

Did you check the CD for errors after you downloaded it?

Have you read the read me file?

Does it display any error messages?

What specification is your PC?

Did you check that your hardware is compatible with the distribution before you downloaded it?

For live CD's, i love Knoppix. I also like Simplymepis. It isn't totally free (some of the drivers cost $$, but there are usually free alternatives somewhere.

My favorite installable distro is OpenSuSe (which i dual boot with my xp partition). Currently i am running 10.2 on my desktop, and 10.1 on my laptop.

Actually, i quad boot on my laptop; Windoz XP pro, OpenSuSe 10.1, SimplyMepis (6 something...), and kubuntu (KDE variant of ubuntu).

I cannot stand *ubuntu, but that is just my opinion...

I've had the most success with Knoppix, it's worked on more varied systems than most other linux distro's and the DVD version of it is so packed with software there's very little need to install Linux unless you're planning on using it as a server.

3v0 said:
If you want a Live CD try downloading and burning a Knoppix Live CD.

if all you want is a liveCD then sure, Knoppix is good. BUT to install... knoppix is a very bad "distro" for installing they sacrificed things to make a good liveCD

@ raiz Why did you download the LTS edition? that best setup for servers.
Ubuntu 7.04 ( **broken link removed** ) is the best choise for a desktop

since you were not using the last release of Ubuntu your PC may of had some unsupported hardware (the infoumous JMicron FakeATA chips for one), try the latest release

Sceadwian said:
I've had the most success with Knoppix, it's worked on more varied systems than most other linux distro's and the DVD version of it is so packed with software there's very little need to install Linux unless you're planning on using it as a server.
But it is a little slow when run from a DVD/CD isn't it?

Mepis can be ran live or can be installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back