Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tired of HyperTerminal - What is good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

futz

I've used so many terminal programs over the years, but I can't remember the names. HyperTerminal is fine for most little things, but I've run into something it's useless for. I need a (much) bigger screen/window than HyperTerminal will give me. What's a real good Windoze terminal program that can do that?

Try this simple one. Simple is all your need in a terminal program. The Parallax Serial Terminal.

**broken link removed**

One bonus they thought to include is the ability to set DTR and RTS high or low with a checkable box.

Of course there are tons of comm programs around about the net but Brey terminal is one that I found to have the most features and controls. You can adjust the send and receive box sizes somewhat, but not sure of your requirements. I'll try and attach a zip file of it here.

Lefty

Attachments

• Brey-Terminal.zip
    281.2 KB · Views: 322
  • Brey1.PNG
    Brey1.PNG
    26.3 KB · Views: 393
Much of my life is spent in terminal windows--it's my main work environment. Under Windows, so far the best and most capable (and most likely to do the right thing by default) is PuTTY. There is also a suite of useful networking and security tools at that link. And it's free (as in beer).

Torben

I've used so many terminal programs over the years, but I can't remember the names. HyperTerminal is fine for most little things, but I've run into something it's useless for. I need a (much) bigger screen/window than HyperTerminal will give me. What's a real good Windoze terminal program that can do that?

Can you try crossTALK i forgot the company who designed it you get a bigger window, but it was designed for DOS of the yester decades.

hi futz,
What project/application are you using a 'terminal' program in conjunction with.?

Basically, what are you using it for...:)

A good terminal program for MCU applications should have the ability to display the serial data in packets of certain bit length, in hex, binary and/or ASCII as well.

A good terminal program for MCU applications should have the ability to display the serial data in packets of certain bit length, in hex, binary and/or ASCII as well.

hi,
I have written a VB5 program to do just that.:)
Its used primarily for PIC serial comms.

If anyone would like an *.exe file, just say and I will tidy it up before posting.
They will require the Visual Basic runtime files from the web, free.

EDIT:
Screenshot with the UART setup window open.

Attachments

• esp05 Aug. 17.gif
    esp05 Aug. 17.gif
    20.1 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
What project/application are you using a 'terminal' program in conjunction with.?

Basically, what are you using it for...:)
For my own amusement I'm writing a hex editor/sector editor for 18F4620 and SD cards. Can't imagine what practical use it'll be, but it's where I'm starting. Need a display for one sector at a time, so 115200 baud async serial it is. Having a keyboard is handy too.

Teraterm is working out fine.

Try this simple one. Simple is all your need in a terminal program. The Parallax Serial Terminal.

**broken link removed**

One bonus they thought to include is the ability to set DTR and RTS high or low with a checkable box.
Ha! I've seen that one before! :D I still have my Basic Stamp 2. It doesn't fit with this project though. I don't like the screen font spacing.

I've used 'terminal' before. Simple and effective :) The terminal program in mikroC is also excellent.

Like eric, I too wrote a small VB6 utility, albeit a lot less 'fancy' than his (not a dig, just highlighting my ineptitude). Was my first VB program.

BT

I use Tera Term Pro, I could never get Hyperterm to work with my setup (Probably because I didn't hook up the CTS line, anyone know if Hyperterm explicitly waits for CTS?) Anyways, yep, ease up setup is a big factor for Tera Term, you just start it up, pick a COM port and voom, off you go.

I use Tera Term Pro, I could never get Hyperterm to work with my setup (Probably because I didn't hook up the CTS line, anyone know if Hyperterm explicitly waits for CTS?)
I'm pretty sure not. I've never set anything on Hyperterm except baud rate and 8/N/1 and it always works. I only ever use RX and TX lines to comm with it.

Anyways, yep, ease up setup is a big factor for Tera Term, you just start it up, pick a COM port and voom, off you go.
Tera Term is nice and simple. Not so stuck on dialup as Hyperterm. Have no use for dialup and it gets in the way.

I'm pretty sure not. I've never set anything on Hyperterm except baud rate and 8/N/1 and it always works. I only ever use RX and TX lines to comm with it.

You can set Hyperterminal to use handshaking or not - obviously it's essential you set it correctly, as with any terminal program.

I like the simple UART tool that comes with the PICkit2 software. Handy and can display ASCII or Hex (too bad it can't do VT100)
Tera Term Pro only does the VT's, so I'm relearning VT100 escape codes. Been a long time since I looked at any of that stuff. Needed arrow keys, so I did some googling last night to get them working ($1b $5b $XX).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back