Timing Light Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

newcomer

I would like to make a high voltage trigger to use with a Penske timing light that normally uses a trigger coming from the auto's #1 spark plug (probably 4KV or higher), This trigger is applied directly to the shield of a large xenon U-tube. I would like to make the trigger adjustable from about 10 Hz. to 20 Hz. I am not an electrical engineer, therefor, I do not know how to specify the requirements of the parts I should buy, and a simple schmetic for this project. I am assuming that the Penske light (P/N 244.2115), which I believe Inductively charges the U-tube, is capable of being run at 20 Hz. (about 2400 engine rpm).

I would appreciate any help I can get for this project--Thank you.

**broken link removed** has something that looks like it might work. There may be simpler circuits out there that use a 555 timer.

Thanks Ron,

It looks like you sent me just what I was looking for. I'm going to price up the parts and for making this project. I dont have a osscilocope for testing this, but I may try to get a low cost one. If this project comes out OK, I want to see how it works for tracking rotor blades on RC helicopters. I may have a question or two later on.

Newcomer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…