Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Timer Circuit for Front Door Bell

Status
Not open for further replies.
HEY, it's not about me understanding this fact. I'm fully aware of the small current drains on the primary without loads, but I would prefer not to have it. Don't YOU understand that.

Don't YOU understand that.

Sorry but no I dont! I would die before I saw the savings of switching to a battery powered door bell!

Just read the web page I posted and use a toroidal transformer.

Andy

Thanks Andy, yes that is quite interesting. But I really just don't like closed circuits through out the house.

Ah yes but if you used it to power more systems in your house then you would have somthing!

Do you have low voltage thermostats, night lights, alarm system?

Thanks Andy, yes that is quite interesting. But I really just don't like closed circuits through out the house.

One thing I have wanted to do is make a solar charged 24 volt battery bank and wire all the wall transformers to it using DC/DC converters and take all the vampires off the grid. Andy

I don't know about the cost of electricity in Australia but in my part of Canada it costs almost nothing. It comes "free" from Niagara Falls huge generators and from a few nuclear generating stations. A lot of the cost of electricity is to pay the chief executive at the electricity company his salary of millions of dollars per year.

My doorbell transformer is slightly warm so it "wastes" about one penny per week which is nothing. Its wasted heat warms my home in winter and causes a slight increase in the costs to operate air conditioning in summer.

The modem and transformer for my cable internet are also always turned on so they also waste a few cents.

I have 24 solar garden lights in my garden that waste NOTHING and I got many of them for free. But they are so dim that they do not light up anything. Most lights in my home are low power compact fluorescent bulbs most that I also got for free.

Last edited:
Yes that is a very good point Andy. Multiple independent and intermitent use devices running off the same secondary power source could be a really good option.

One thing I have wanted to do is make a solar charged 24 volt battery bank and wire all the wall transformers to it using DC/DC converters and take all the vampires off the grid. Andy
Good idea, but it all comes back to the economics. Here in Australia in the state of Victoria anyway, the government provide a solar rebate scheme for solar power installations. But apparently once the rebate is claimed, the kilowatt hour rate is increased by the service provider.So in effect we end up paying more for power just because we have the ability to input power back to the grid.

I don't know about the cost of electricity in Australia but in my part of Canada it costs almost nothing. It comes "free" from Niagara Falls huge generators and from a few nuclear generating stations. A lot of the cost of electricity is to pay the chief executive at the electricity company his salary of millions of dollars per year.so got for free.

Our power systems and infrastructure were once a responsibility of the state government, but have now been privatised. Very clever ploy on the government of the day actually. Now it seems that the infrastructure needs updating and that the consumers are going to have to foot the bill via increased billing rates to cover these costs. The other big kicker is that we are using brown coal for the majority of our generation needs. And yes, as you mention, the CEOs of these companies are raking in millions. I have often thought that it would be nice to set up a non profit power provider company that would enable customers / consumers to claim a rebate on their tax return.

Good idea, but it all comes back to the economics. Here in Australia in the state of Victoria anyway, the government provide a solar rebate scheme for solar power installations. But apparently once the rebate is claimed, the kilowatt hour rate is increased by the service provider.So in effect we end up paying more for power just because we have the ability to input power back to the grid.

You would not be feeding the grid, It would be a small closed system, dont tell them. Andy

Hey Andy, Here's an article that you were talking about in an earlier posting.
An energy saving doorbell | OliNo

Yes that was in post #20. What are you trying to say? Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back