Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Timed on/off/on relay solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcaster

I'm a novice when it comes to electronics. I've done basic troubleshooting with PCB repairs and automotive wiring issues. I have a proprietary controller device that runs an arcade game. The issue is that over time one of the relays has started to go bad causing the game to flip to freeplay mode at random. I'm not sure if it's a normally open or a normally closed relay. I want to say the relay defaults open(freeplay mode) on power up then when voltage is applied to the relay it closes(credit mode). The solution is to turn a keyed switch on/off to take it out of freeplay mode each time it randomly goes into freeplay mode.

Without digging into the proprietary electronics I was hoping someone may have a solution on how to build a timed switch that will do this for me when wired in replacing the current keyed switch. Basically I need a switch that will run on a timer say at 15 minute intervals. Every 15 minutes the switch must open then close with maybe a 1 -2 second gap in between opening and closing the circuit. The switch can run on a battery or I can even wire it into a power supply since AC power is close by. By opening and closing the switch on a timer, if the machine is in freeplay mode it will reset it back to credit mode. If still in credit mode, it will flip it to freeplay mode for that 1 - 2 seconds but put it back into credit mode immediately.

I am betting there is a simple solution or perhaps someone has a better solution?

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Kevin

First, I strongly recommend that you try to find out why it switches into freeplay mode. Your hack may simply mask another problem which will soon appear once you’ve got your timed relay solution.

There are probably several different solutions.

How about a 4060 with an external clock? By choosing the proper frequency, the outputs will give you a fifteen minute period.

Or a 555 with a one minute period, feeding a binary 4 bit counter feeding a 4 to 16 line decider (74154). The sixteen outputs will start at the first position and move one position every minute. Use s delay at the 15 minute position and then reset the counter to 0.

Or do you have coding skills? An ATTINY45 can do this in about a dozen lines of code. Besides the microprocessor, you’ll need a programmer (<$20 at Sparkfun). It uses the Arduino (Free) IDE. Then, add a relay, diode, transistor (or logic Level MOSFET, like a 2N7000) and a resistor or two and you’re up and running.

The simplest solution is to examine the relay contact positions when it is in credit mode, then remove the relay and link the connections that went to the appropriate contacts, to emulate the credit mode connections.

No complexities, no electronics needed.

I'm a novice when it comes to electronics. I've done basic troubleshooting with PCB repairs and automotive wiring issues. I have a proprietary controller device that runs an arcade game. The issue is that over time one of the relays has started to go bad causing the game to flip to freeplay mode at random. I'm not sure if it's a normally open or a normally closed relay. I want to say the relay defaults open(freeplay mode) on power up then when voltage is applied to the relay it closes(credit mode). The solution is to turn a keyed switch on/off to take it out of freeplay mode each time it randomly goes into freeplay mode.

Without digging into the proprietary electronics I was hoping someone may have a solution on how to build a timed switch that will do this for me when wired in replacing the current keyed switch. Basically I need a switch that will run on a timer say at 15 minute intervals. Every 15 minutes the switch must open then close with maybe a 1 -2 second gap in between opening and closing the circuit. The switch can run on a battery or I can even wire it into a power supply since AC power is close by. By opening and closing the switch on a timer, if the machine is in freeplay mode it will reset it back to credit mode. If still in credit mode, it will flip it to freeplay mode for that 1 - 2 seconds but put it back into credit mode immediately.

I am betting there is a simple solution or perhaps someone has a better solution?

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Kevin

Hi
Can you post a photo the relay and/or the section of board where the relay is mounted

eT

Without seeing the circuit I would say, wire a potter & brumfield 60 second relay into the circuit. When machine goes into free play mode wire it so 60 second timer comes ON. Set timer for 5 seconds to close the key switch. When relay closed key switch machine returns to normal then timer relay turns off until next time it go the free play mode again. Potter & Brumfield relays come in several voltages this picture is only 1 of many that are avalible. This relay is $12 on ebay.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back