Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Time to call it a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
On another forum I help moderate, 95% of the spam comes from one country. The IP addresses nearly always resolve to the same country (and usually the same ISP) and there are real people on the other end of the keyboard trying to make the other members believe they are legitimate owners of the car brand the forum is orientated towards.

Fortunately for us, the level of English is rather poor and they tend to be fairly obvious to spot and ban but this has been going on for the last 5 or 6 years - on a bad day we can have 10-20 new signups from this country, none of which have any idea what a "Vauxhall" car is ......

I hear you RB. I've been feeling the same way for over a year now. I miss the old crowd that used to meet, gather, and have logical, USEFUL discussions. I have actually gravitated more towards AllAboutCircuits. It's not much better there, but I feel there are more interesting conversations there than annoying kids who only beg for answers rather than asking for help. Unfortunately I can't say the same for ETO. This forum was my first, so it will always be my "home" forum, but I find myself visiting it less frequently than some others.

Regards,
Matt

Last edited:
hi RB

you want to have some fun and so do i. then why not chew on the following problem.

let us consider a vibrating string with two ends fixed and mode of vibration is two or more. accordingly you should notice one or more node in the middle of the string and alas i have never been successful noticing that. according to theory that node should be static in time and thus easily noticeable. i think i must have missed some fine points of theory.

NB: you will get some textbook even producing photographs of such nodes say for Vibrations and Waves by A P French. and of course spare me of hijacking your thread by posting a problem but i did it with the hope of having some fun.

-lipschutz

Not too long ago I had the chance to see a living example at the pier of a port nearby whilst sitting in front of a vessel berthed alongside. I was very close to the stern lines (as those in the picture - not the actual pier nor the actual vessel and certainly tighter).

The vessel had constant-tension winches keeping the mooring lines tight and the generator in service could be heard from the pier.

To my surprise I could see, IIRC 2 or 3 standing nodes along the rope going from the bit onboard to the bit at the pier.

Several times I just touched the rope with my hands and the vibration damped immediately with the whole thing becoming as before, few second after taking my hands out of it.

Pity is that I did not try to find out the length of the vibrating part of the roope and the brand of the generator to see how they related vis-a-vis their service RPM. Even today I do not understand why I did not take a picture. Because of my job, I carry a camera permanently with me.

The vessel was not operating so there were no cranes working and the generator-originated vibration predominated.

Attachments

• stern lines.jpg
    stern lines.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
I here you RB. I've been feeling the same way for over a year now. I miss the old crowd that used to meet, gather, and have logical, USEFUL discussions. I have actually gravitated more towards AllAboutCircuits. It's not much better there, but I feel there are more interesting conversations there than annoying kids who only beg for answers rather than asking for help. Unfortunately I can't say the same for ETO. This forum was my first, so it will always be my "home" forum, but I find myself visiting it less frequently than some others.

Similar here as well but I moved over to CR4 to hang out with the more engineering oriented crowd. So far in the last year ETO went from #1 on my forums and frequented sites to #3 on forums and #8 total with the GSA (Government Surplus Auctions) site likely to soon take its position on my favorites list. :(

OK I'm here now... what kind of trouble do you want me to stir up? I can get y'all laughing or, boil your blood.

I have been reading in the Microcontrollers section of "ETO", I have found many areas of concern. Much has to do with my "Google Searches" and I'm finding many other "Sources" giving examples that have been taken from (Forums Such as ETO), they are branded copies lacking, vital information concerning, such as High Level Programming or Machine Language.

This is a concern for me and the idea that all of "ETO - AAC " as well as countless forums are being exploited. Allowing the creation of "New Sites" with information, copied for the hole world to see. (Am i suddenly paranoid?)

If there is an area of ( Counter Intelligence) and basic knowledge or building blocks for (Nations of Exponential Population.) The amount of human capability for "Genius's" virtue in numbers, become staggering.

You will never hear those who have the (Genius) in other countries and will ever know about them. Instead, they send their (Minion) as (Pawns) in a (Speculative) gathering of information.

Those (Minion) will give the information back to the "Sources" only to be re-distributed to the hole of their population, with the effort to find the one individual capable of reproducing what we have amass in over 40years of Technology.

Building on our concepts, ideas, and creativity.

( I think I'm paranoid or just running on lack of sleep)

kv

Edit: Besides, it all started from the "I" as in other countries. I just connected the dots, with my lack of sleep:p

Edit:Edit: I was so tired I couldn't spell "Started" Doh!

Last edited:
I think it is just the summer doldrums. Shame, because it is to hot here in the summer to do much else.

Yes it is a global place now. So we better start teaching our kids how to work 16 hour days again or the tide will turn to somewhere else. It's the problem with a "service" economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back