Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Time to call it a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr RB

Over the years this has been my favorite electronics forum and it's been great to read about other people's fun projects and even try to offer some help. :)

I've never taken the forum too seriously and usually it has been a part of my relaxation time, reading some posts while watching TV or cooking/eating some food, or trying to avoid real work for half an hour haha. ;)

Lately the forum seems (to me) to have changed a bit. Fun projects are few and far between, and new fun threads seem a bit thin too. I've still enjoyed offering help or attempts at humour in threads, but so much of the new content seems to be less friendly and less enthusiastic than it used to be. Content is heading closer toward rude requests for help (so people can get their homework done for them) and with the lack of fun new projects even a lot of old regular member activity seems to be focused a lot more on nitpicking and arguing tangential points than on helping some cool concept design through to a working completion.

I'm not sure what the reasons are, but personally I think that people (especially younger people) seem to be changing the nature of their written interactions. There's more of a disconnect from the reality of interacting with real people, and a method of communication that seems to treat forums as "just words on a screen" where people can demand someone to fix their problem or rudely disrespect each other if they don't immediately get what they want. Unfortunately in the future I see people getting even lazier and ruder, as a whole new "spoilt" generation are coming online and the jaded old guard has to deal with them.

Please don't think this is any one incident or anything recent, it's more a slow and gradual change that has eroded the satisfaction and enjoyment of something that was previously part of my daily relaxation.

So as the cliche goes; "It's not you, it's me". ;)

Cheers. :)

Yep. I feel ya. :(

It started wearing down for me a while ago.

Over the years this has been my favorite electronics forum and it's been great to read about other people's fun projects and even try to offer some help. :)

I've never taken the forum too seriously and usually it has been a part of my relaxation time, reading some posts while watching TV or cooking/eating some food, or trying to avoid real work for half an hour haha. ;)

Lately the forum seems (to me) to have changed a bit. Fun projects are few and far between, and new fun threads seem a bit thin too. I've still enjoyed offering help or attempts at humour in threads, but so much of the new content seems to be less friendly and less enthusiastic than it used to be. Content is heading closer toward rude requests for help (so people can get their homework done for them) and with the lack of fun new projects even a lot of old regular member activity seems to be focused a lot more on nitpicking and arguing tangential points than on helping some cool concept design through to a working completion.

I'm not sure what the reasons are, but personally I think that people (especially younger people) seem to be changing the nature of their written interactions. There's more of a disconnect from the reality of interacting with real people, and a method of communication that seems to treat forums as "just words on a screen" where people can demand someone to fix their problem or rudely disrespect each other if they don't immediately get what they want. Unfortunately in the future I see people getting even lazier and ruder, as a whole new "spoilt" generation are coming online and the jaded old guard has to deal with them.

Please don't think this is any one incident or anything recent, it's more a slow and gradual change that has eroded the satisfaction and enjoyment of something that was previously part of my daily relaxation.

So as the cliche goes; "It's not you, it's me". ;)

Cheers. :)

I'm so tired right now, and I have one more day. Still I keep going, I have no choice.

But, tomorrow I have 2 more hrs.

Relax, take time and measure a bit. If you don't use it you "will" loose it.

I just read a "Thread" that helped me, and you stood.

Believe it or not, your standing, did improve my ability to read and comprehend.

If I can get it, then anyone should with the right abilities. (Void)(Void)=nothing.

kv

hi RB

you want to have some fun and so do i. then why not chew on the following problem.

let us consider a vibrating string with two ends fixed and mode of vibration is two or more. accordingly you should notice one or more node in the middle of the string and alas i have never been successful noticing that. according to theory that node should be static in time and thus easily noticeable. i think i must have missed some fine points of theory.

NB: you will get some textbook even producing photographs of such nodes say for Vibrations and Waves by A P French. and of course spare me of hijacking your thread by posting a problem but i did it with the hope of having some fun.

-lipschutz

If I had the power, I would block one country..

hi RB

you want to have some fun and so do i. then why not chew on the following problem.

let us consider a vibrating string with two ends fixed and mode of vibration is two or more. accordingly you should notice one or more node in the middle of the string and alas i have never been successful noticing that. according to theory that node should be static in time and thus easily noticeable. i think i must have missed some fine points of theory.

NB: you will get some textbook even producing photographs of such nodes say for Vibrations and Waves by A P French. and of course spare me of hijacking your thread by posting a problem but i did it with the hope of having some fun.

-lipschutz

I have seen such nodes many times.. even when we played with skipping ropes as a child. The first physics lab in university was about vibrating string. There was a metal string with current through it and then there was coils with AC current.. the changing magnetic field made the string vibrate and we could change the frequency of the oscillation and observe how the string resonates. There was plenty of different numbers of nodes along the string at harmonic frequencies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INqfM1kdfUc

Last edited:
Roman - you've summed my feelings up perfectly here. I've felt the same way for quite a while on here and while I've not "left" the forums, I've taken a step back and generally just observe with the odd post now and again.

I'll probably still be reading the ETO forums for many years to come but really can't be bothered with the muppets who come on and don't bother listening to what they are told or don't contribute to any other posts than their own.

There is a definite period cycle to this forum... Nigel hit it on the head once... During the winter we get the posts we need because more people do "inside stuff" and get the help they need.

I agree that of late the posts are a bit boring, but it will change... it always does... You will take a year out, log on and find things will be a bit different... Your input here is quite invaluable and I for one will be sorry that you are taking a back seat..

I see a few good members are absent more and more... See you in the spring maybe!!!!

Hi,

MrRB:
In a perfect world, none of that is true.
This just is not that :)
I also agree with Ian that the forum goes through ups and downs. Try not to feel too bad though, i've seen worse, much worse, on other sites.

lipshutz:
If you want to see the node you have to get the string to vibrate at a harmonic and that requires a certain kind of 'plucking' where you very lightly touch the string with one finger where you want the mode to appear as you pluck with a finger from another hand, and as soon as you pluck you release the touch finger as fast as possible. The amplitude will be lower than normal but it does make the harmonic amplitude higher than the fundamental.
If you dont do something like this, then even if the string has harmonics it will be very hard to see them because they will be of lower amplitude than the fundamental, maybe even much lower.

misterT:
What country would that be?

misterT:
What country would that be?

Ahh..I guess it might start with the letter I. Yes, that Country that has lot's of people that have a lot of people wanting Technical answers....so they keep posting here looking for help. And specific one's never learn either. But keep posting anyway and want to hear the answer they are looking for...or ignore advise given: Please see the Dunning Kruger effect here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

The specific ones that will not listen drive sane Members away...eventually.

Just taking a chance here ;)

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
TVTech,

Ahh..I guess it might start with the letter I. Yes, that Country that has lot's of people...

I don't think Iran has been a problem, do you?

Ratch

TVTech,

I don't think Iran has been a problem, do you?

Ratch

Hi Ratch

Iran starts with an I. Iran is a problem to many places Worldwide. Not this place called ETO yet ;).

Think of another Country that starts with an I.

Regards,
tvtech

Yep I see people from India in other forums all the time. It just bewilders me how many of them are in higher level engineering or similar positions and have absolutely no clue as to what they should be doing or what is common knowledge in their own jobs. :mad:

"I am having problems with the insulation melting off of our primary electrical service wires.
We are currently running at 300+% of their rated amp capacity what can we doe to keep the insulation from melting? Please help! "

Thats the people I question. :mad:

you've summed my feelings up perfectly here. I've felt the same way for quite a while on here and while I've not "left" the forums, I've taken a step back and generally just observe with the odd post now and again.

Same here. you are not alone. I am around but I run in stealth mode when I am here.

Can we please drop the racist remarks.... There are quite a few "Slow on the uptake" members from every part of the world... I really don't want to start the moderators editing

I understand everyone's views, but slagging off entire communities is VERY unhelpful...

Can we please drop the racist remarks....

Where and whom made racist remarks? So far all I can find is comments about suspected dummies, idiots, dolts, halfwits, and such of which are not of any defined race onto themselves. :confused:

However relating to which country has the highest active percentage that again in itself is not racist. It's just strong supporting evidence for said country/countries having highly questionable education and business practices which can be easily seen by whom they have working and to what end they apparently do not understand the technical aspects of own positions in their workplace. :p

However relating to which country has the highest active percentage that again in itself is not racist. It's just strong supporting evidence for said country/countries having highly questionable education and business practices which can be easily seen by whom they have working and to what end they apparently do not understand the technical aspects of own positions in their workplace. :p

If you really wanted to know what country had the highest percentage participating in ETO, that is easy to find. Here is one source:https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/electro-tech-online.com Why didn't you go there or to any of the other easily found web sources?

27% of ETO traffic is from India, population 1.21 billion. The USA is 12%, population 317 million. Japan is 15%, population 127 million. As a percentage of population, India is well below the USA and Japan (you can do the calculations for other countries, if that would serve any purpose).

Playing childish word games, it starts with "I" etc. was obviously headed in the wrong direction, and I am glad Ian stepped in.

John

I have also noticed the summer duldrums.
RB always seems to have the most fun and I find myself checking to see what he has commented on first.
I also like seeing the group projects.

If I had the power, I would block one country..

I am sure that we all have our country in the list of someone else's. Better not to ask...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back