Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Time cut off

Status
Not open for further replies.

josepuente

I am building a remote start alarm . And i need to build a device that sends dc power at the firsn ignition cycle and then cut off using a pulse with modulelation fron the injector. To crank the engine. So that every time that i cycle the ignition it will give power to the starter circuit and then cut off as soon as the engine starts. Any ideas as far as what (micro controlers, pnpndiondes,capacitors, or devices that i can can get at a local radioshack.?

thanks

I really apreciate ur comment. Do u have any ideas as far as what commponents i can use to develop the project. I know is hard to develop it but am willing to spend the time on it. I was tinking it will be easier to create a divice that can send power at the firts ignition cycle and being able to regulated . Lets say my emgine takes two seconds to start then to be able to regulate the device's output time and adjusted to two seconds or if it my motor takes tree seconds or more being able to regulated for the amount of time i need to start the engine. I doesn't have to detect when the engine starts instead i can just regulated with a simple potensiometer.. Mi bigest issue is the cranking time. I have igniton power to the engine once i recive the signal from the remote i just need the control cranking time .. Any ideas..

If you're planning to use a timed ignition cycle why even bother with the injectors? My very first remote car starter project used a timed cycle for starting and it worked great on all but the very coldest of days. On extremely cold days remotely triggering the start sequence twice did the trick.

thanks

I apreciated your comment do u have any ideas as far as how to build a time ignition cycle am kind of new with this projects but i love them.. I will apriciated ur help.. Kan u tell me what material i can use or may be some eschematics . Can i build it with stuff from radioshack? Like i said am still new at this electronic projects i allways love them i just never put them on practice.. I will apriciate ur help.

It's been a while since I was last in a RadioShack but my first version was made with 4xxx series ICs that are/were available there. The 4xxx based version worked for years and was only retired because I got in to microcontrollers and decided I wanted more features. I still have the schematics around somewhere, I'll see what I can dig up.

What features were you hoping to have? What type of vehicle is this for? Do you know the basic security and safety features needed in a remote start system?

thanks

its for a remotstar alarm built in a motorcyle . i just want a basic feature turn the motorcycle with a remote simple on and off feature i just want to build it myself. the motorcylce security features are basic it just take a vatts. it suses a simple resistor built in the ignition switch once u turn the key to the on position the siwth is pulled to ground and the passe tru a resistor with a know value lest say two homs the the motorcycle's computer reads the value and the allow the injector to oparate . the tric is just to messure the ressistro value and the add ti to the allarm with relay using a ground output and a resistor with the previus value . very simple. i've been putting remote start alarms on motorcycles they were only made for simple carburator engines sicne i drive sport bike i was able to crak the atitheft code on the motorcycle and then just add a output ground ralay with the previus value using the ignition output from the remote star module. very simple . i just want to build it myself. it is fun and i like chalenges.. even if am not a pro.. I really apreciate ur help..

Hi Jose,

here is an idea which might work. It has not been tested.

Function: A reflective IR-sensor measures engine rpm. It puts out a square wave signal according to engine rpm.

At e.g. 600 rpm the output is 10Hz (600rpm/60) for single point sensing. The CNY70 has a focussing distance of max 5mm. Using a white mark on the crankshaft rpm will be sensed reliably.

The receiver is a monostable multivibrator (NE555) acting as missing pulse detector. As long as the pulse recurrence frequency is below time out the output is low. It turns high at a frequency of 10Hz and above.

The values given in the schematic are valid for single point measurement at 600rpm (timing ~100ms).

The connected relay switches the starter relay via terminals COM and NC.

To activate both circuits voltage must be supplied when turning on the ignition key. This activates the starter immediately.

When engine rpm is high enough the starter is deactivated (relay switches COM to NO).

Here is the schematic of two PCBs, one "switch board" and the other one "sensor board".

Also attached are PDF files of both, schematic and PCB layout. The boards are single sided with one wire jump on the switch board.

Regards

Boncuk

P.S. Power is applied to the switch board only. When using the three terminal connector of the switch board and connect that with the three terminal connector on the sensor board power is automatically supplied to the sensor board.

Attachments

• MISSISNG-PULSE-SCR..gif
    MISSISNG-PULSE-SCR..gif
    23.9 KB · Views: 122
  • MISSING-PULSE-SCH..pdf
    45.1 KB · Views: 150
  • MISSING-PULSE-BRD..pdf
    36.4 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
hi

thanks. i apreciate ur information but sice motorcyles don't have crannkshaft pulleys ist hard to aply this componet to thsi project but i,ll kip it on mind for fueatures adjustments for cars. i was thinking may be usinga a 555ic . can i make a 555ics to send a timer output for x amount of second lets say two or tree regulating it with a potenciometer. using inition key . but i need for the power to be send only once. on every cycle. lets say i put key foward with a device and that ignition cycle is gonna stay on as long as the engine is running but i need a time delay. i want to regulated with a potentiometer for the amount of seconds that mi engine takes to turn on. so the key is gonna be foward with the remote control but i need a output of x amount of seconds that only work every key cycle . is thera a way to do this with a simple 555 ics

Hi Jose,

as already said in the latest PM using timing is not the best idea.

A cold start requires some cranks of the engine to start while an engine at operating temperature will start with the first crank. Having the starter motor still engaged will lead to damage.

Although it's a motorbyce engine there should be a way to drill a small hole (3.5mm) into the crankcase to place the IR-sensor on top of the flywheel.

Boncuk

If you opt for a more robust design that's not based on timing why not make use of the factory tach signal? No need to add extra components or holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back