Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Threshold Detection

Status
Not open for further replies.

rroonnaakk

Hello,
I am working on my fourth year project and are building a UWB transever. Well I am working on the A/D block and was wondering if anyone could help out here... I need a 1GHz (Need a decision every 1nS) threshold detection. Due to the speed concerns I dont think I could use comparators.... we have 10 correlators and need a a A/D conversion on each line... So basically I need something that will convert voltage levels into Digital. a Quantizor maybe.... Could someone point me in the right direction...

Well I guess I should have clarified all that... but here it goes....
UWB - UltraWide Band.
The A/D is lets say 16 bits
but basically I jus need a A/D converter that will make decisions every nanoSecond. and will convert voltage levels to 16bit digital signals.
The voltage levels come from a correlators... and can be modified by changing the multiplication coiffecients in the correlator.. So lets assume any value we find convient.

Have you considered that, with a one volt peak-to-peak signal, you are hoping to resolve 15 microvolts at 1gigasamples/sec? I think this is way beyond the present state of the art. According to Maxim's web site, the **broken link removed** is their highest performance A/D. It's 8 bits at 1.5 gsps. There may be faster ones out there, but keep in mind that 16 bits isn't twice as "good" as 8 bits - it's 256 times. There are schemes (such as in digital scopes) that achieve sample rates as high as 20 gsps, but they are probably also 8 bits.

Just adding my $0.02 worth to this discussion...

I think you should review your architecture if by what you hear, your current one is technically close to impossible (at least with off-the-shelf components). It might be possible with SiGe, or HEMT technology, but certainly not to college students.

Could you conceivably stagger the ADC's. Give each one, say, 10ns to do a conversion, and read each one in turn while the others are still converting? Maybe you could divide your 1GHz UWB into ten 100MHz bands, and downconvert each higher band to 0-100MHz. Just a couple of random thoughts.

Jem

jem said:
Just adding my $0.02 worth to this discussion...

I think you should review your architecture if by what you hear, your current one is technically close to impossible (at least with off-the-shelf components). It might be possible with SiGe, or HEMT technology, but certainly not to college students.

Could you conceivably stagger the ADC's. Give each one, say, 10ns to do a conversion, and read each one in turn while the others are still converting? Maybe you could divide your 1GHz UWB into ten 100MHz bands, and downconvert each higher band to 0-100MHz. Just a couple of random thoughts.

Jem
A/D interleaving, or multiplexing, is a technique for getting higher conversion rates, but I think A/D matching becomes a big problem. Not impossible, but big.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back