Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thought provoking editorial from Silicon Chip magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

spec

Most Helpful Member
Silicon Chip is a great Australian electronics magazine.

Here is thought-provoking editorial about renewable energy from the November 2016 edition:

2017_02_11_RENEWABLE_ENERGY_WARNING_FROM SILICON_CHIP_2016_11.png

Last edited:
Apparently... Something similar happened here in Rochdale... Our horizon has changed dramatically in each direction...

There are more planned.... There has been no official announcement but rumours that cabling was being overloaded due to surges from the turbines..

Apparently... Something similar happened here in Rochdale... Our horizon has changed dramatically in each direction...

There are more planned.... There has been no official announcement but rumors that cabling was being overloaded due to surges from the turbines..
All this is like electric cars- a complete circus, and it is costing the electricity consumers directly and tax payers indirectly with all the government subsidies.

The wind turbines are also ruining the environment in a big way. A good example is if you drive south into Cornwall, one of the most attractive counties- the whole landscape is covered in various designs of wind turbine, some ugly and some really ugly. And the thing is that more often than not the turbines are not functioning.:arghh:

Mr angry from WSM

After much acrimony, bad feeling and name calling, the man who was recently elected President of the USA was given planning permission to build a golf course and hotel on the coast just north of Aberdeen.
The golf course was completed a few years ago, the hotel is not yet started.

The Scottish government has plans to create a windfarm a few miles offshore just north of Aberdeen.
The windfarm would be in full view from the golf course.
On hearing of this, Donald J. had a bit of a hissy fit and told Nicola and Co that he was most unhappy that these ugly turbines should spoil his golf course, and if they did not build them somewhere else out of sight he would not build his hotel. He also informed that wind turbines do not work.

JimB

I don't think they are ugly... I just wish they would source some storage facility.... Otherwise turbines are next to useless...
I am with you on the not ugly aspect- I think wind turbines are a beautiful piece of aeronautical engineering, just like Concorde, but I wouldn't want a load of Concords parked all over the countryside. The same goes for the Flying Scotsman.

spec

After much acrimony, bad feeling and name calling, the man who was recently elected President of the USA was given planning permission to build a golf course and hotel on the coast just north of Aberdeen.
The golf course was completed a few years ago, the hotel is not yet started.

The Scottish government has plans to create a windfarm a few miles offshore just north of Aberdeen.
The windfarm would be in full view from the golf course.
On hearing of this, Donald J. had a bit of a hissy fit and told Nicola and Co that he was most unhappy that these ugly turbines should spoil his golf course, and if they did not build them somewhere else out of sight he would not build his hotel. He also informed that wind turbines do not work.

JimB

In spite of all the flack, one thing about DT is that he cuts to the core through all the BS which is gradually strangling both the UK and US.

Under the current political regime there is no way that the two countries would have progressed so spectacularly. There would be no railways, roads, cars, no airports, national grid, hydro electric dams. As it was, in the UK, motor cars had to have a chap walking in front of waving a flag, meanwhile France and the US took the lead in automobile engineering and production.

Also, there are a load of people who have non-jobs and are incompetent and sponge of society. But worse still they inhibit progress. Just look at the complete shambles and incompetence about Brexit (UK resigning from the common market). It beggars belief.

The other thing about DT is that the people who appear on TV in opposition to him are weird and mostly illogical. Did anyone see the guys from the CIA or similar on TV recently- spooky.

spec

one thing about DT is that he cuts to the core through all the BS which is gradually strangling both the UK and US.
I agree, but, there is something disturbing in his manner. I get the impression that he thinks that his ideas are the only way to get things done.

Just look at the complete shambles and incompetence about Brexit (UK resigning from the common market). It beggars belief.
I agree with you there as well.
Without getting into the right/wrong aspects of the idea of leaving the EU, how the hell do they expect to unravel the complexities which have taken 40 years or so to build. Impossible!

JimB

Putting on my Moderators Hat for a minute, I hope this thread does not degenerate into a raging political debate.

JimB

One forum I'm a member of, has political discussions without any hissy fits. Sorry, I can't name the forum because handles must not be able to be linked. The info is not publicly viewable. Members only.

I agree, but, there is something disturbing in his manner. I get the impression that he thinks that his ideas are the only way to get things done.

I agree with you there as well.
Without getting into the right/wrong aspects of the idea of leaving the EU, how the hell do they expect to unravel the complexities which have taken 40 years or so to build. Impossible!

JimB
Putting on my Moderators Hat for a minute, I hope this thread does not degenerate into a raging political debate.

JimB

Good points Jim.

spec

One forum I'm a member of, has political discussions without any hissy fits. Sorry, I can't name the forum because handles must not be able to be linked. The info is not publicly viewable. Members only.

The "Zed" by any chance?

JimB

There is a worrying trend in the media. We no longer get facts, just unsupported opinion and speculation, very often by self proclaimed psychologists, psychology itself being a haven for charlatans. So all we get is emotions, muck raking and ad hominem attacks. But, worst of all, is the endless and meaningless verbiage. Meanwhile the important matters are ignored. Extreme cases were the coverage, by the media, of the Scottish referendum (Scotland separating from the UK), the Brexit referendum (UK leaving the European Union), and the recent election of DT. The UK media, especially BBC TV, were a disgrace and, in the latter case, the US TV that I saw was unbelievably silly.

spec

Last edited:
Extreme cases were the coverage, by the media, of the Scottish referendum (Scotland separating from the UK), the Brexit referendum (UK leaving the European Union), and the recent election of DT. The UK media, especially BBC TV, were a disgrace and, in the latter case, the US TV that I saw was unbelievably silly.
"Unbelievably silly" has been the normal, default state of US TV for a long time. I haven't bothered watching daily TV news in over 30 years; the only times I've tuned in have been to catch the election results in national elections.

There is little to be gained by watching all the talking heads, as most of them are empty.

'Talking heads' - wonderful. Wish I had thought of that.

Another thing that gets me is the grinding repetition. In the UK the news starts with a description of the news items. Then the news items are covered one by one and pretty much the same information will be repeated, not just by the news caster, but by the reporter in the field. So on political matters the political corespondent will be standing outside the houses of parliament, normally in the pouring rain with all the traffic noise obscuring what he is saying, which is pretty much the same as what has already been said twice in the studio, plus a load of speculation. Sometimes a passer by will be asked his/her view. Only to get some incoherent babble or complete indifference.

Then they will switch back to the studio for another repetition. Then there will be a series of 'experts' covering areas like global warming, the environment, the church, and the various political parties, non of which stick to the subject but just grind on about their own agendas.

Then it is back to the news announcer who once more repeats the story.

Once all the news items have been covered the announcer sums the news up and repeats the whole thing once again.:grumpy:

spec

Last edited:
'Talking heads' - wonderful. Wish I had thought of that.

Another thing that gets me is the grinding repetition.:grumpy:

spec

I know why I do not watch TV for more than maybe 9 years now.

I know why I do not watch TV for more than maybe 9 years now.
Very wise Atferrari- watching the news will turn you brain into mush.

And it is the same with reading newspapers, in the UK anyway.:eek:

spec

Another thing that gets me is the grinding repetition...
I believe that arises from the media's fervent belief that their audience are a bunch of flatheaded, drooling morons. For those of us who don't fit that description, watching the news is excruciating.

Good Evening TV Viewers-

Here are Today's New's Headlines.!

the_sausage_61210.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back