Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

This entitled world

Status
Not open for further replies.

pewtu

As this is general discussion I thought I would give my general views. I asked a question about solder and was pleased that many have their thoughts and advice. However I was also 'lectured' about buying quality product not from popular auction sites or from across the seas. About just dropping solder on as seen on some videos and the ability of some to make perfect joints every time.
I am of the old brigade. My first serious project involved this very new fangled things, TTL and was a Nixie digital clock. I progressed. I became an electronics senior project engineer for a broadcast TV company in Norfolk. If you watched any Anglia TV program in colour in the late 1970s onwards, I was involved in making sure it happened.
That does not mean I can't learn. In the past everyone was helpful to others to encourage them with the techniques and knowledge. No one critisesed or raised their expertise above their expanded head. Just advice.
Things have changed.
Rant over.

However I was also 'lectured' about buying quality product not from popular auction sites or from across the seas. About just dropping solder on as seen on some videos and the ability of some to make perfect joints every time.

You mean AudioGuru ! :D

We tolerate his intemperate outbursts and rantings because he really does have some good electronics knowledge.
Just ignore him, don't let him get to you. He is a bit of a pachyderm so returning the verbal ordure has little effect on him. A bit like water off a ducks back I guess.

Anglia TV, I remember them.

JimB

Just don't mention China ......

I remember the siver knight on a horse being broadcast on Anglia back in the day of non 24 hour tv ....

Oh the knight. When Anglia spent mega bucks having the triangle design to replace the knight the poor thing was out in a cupboard under the stairs, literally. It was brought out again later. I once set a competition for the local late night BBC radio program. What got in a spin, went backwards and coloured up? Can you solve it?
For those technically minded. The composite colour signal has as part of it, a component called the colour burst. This tells the receiver that the signal is colour. In the early days when a black and white film was broadcast because colour sets did not display black and white very well the colour burst was removed. The set then knew it was supposed to display black and white. A piece of expensive equipment could be purchased, known as a colour killer. My solution. Attach a 1/4 wave stub at the frequency of the colour burst on the telecine machine. The reflected signal killed the burst. Cost? A short piece of cable and a BNC t piece.

As this is general discussion I thought I would give my general views. I asked a question about solder and was pleased that many have their thoughts and advice. However I was also 'lectured' about buying quality product not from popular auction sites or from across the seas. About just dropping solder on as seen on some videos and the ability of some to make perfect joints every time.
I am of the old brigade. My first serious project involved this very new fangled things, TTL and was a Nixie digital clock. I progressed. I became an electronics senior project engineer for a broadcast TV company in Norfolk. If you watched any Anglia TV program in colour in the late 1970s onwards, I was involved in making sure it happened.
That does not mean I can't learn. In the past everyone was helpful to others to encourage them with the techniques and knowledge. No one critisesed or raised their expertise above their expanded head. Just advice.
Things have changed.
Rant over.
You mean AudioGuru ! :D
Jim you forgeth!! Canadian solder is twice better than ours.. LOL..
Just don't mention China ......
Or India...

Brexit. That's the problem. And I'm not going to mention Ch..... No I'm not going to mention it.

Pewtu .. .. since I haven't seen anybody else say, I will .. .. .. Welcome to ETO !

Members will tell you I'm an irritating little S and S who knows very little of electronics but most of what I have learnt has been from here .. .. they are a great bunch of .. .. .. .

.. .. .. and the prospect of adding your experience & expertise is exciting !

If you really want to wind AG, think of a circuit involving an LM741 OP Amp !

MM

A real electronic parts and solder distributor fairly sells good quality products. Why buy no-name-brand junk that might be fake or defective from another place?
I used to buy 63/37 Ersin solder made in England. Today my 63/37solder is made by MG Chemicals in USA.

here .. .. they are a great bunch of .. .. .. .

.. .. .. and the prospect
MM your keyboard is playing up ! .. I think most forums get a full share of 'personalities' it makes for interesting reading ( mostly) Would agree also about my learning stuff on ETO..

Wow, how things change due to Chinese whispers. Let's take the latest responses in reverse. The idea of fake or defective parts because they come from another place or no name. Ok, hands up. I purchased some components from a AliExpress. I wanted over 1500 LEDs , 2 were faulty. I am just completing another project, 20 74HC164 all function for what I want them to do. I could go on. I really would like to purchase the PCBs I design but I just cannot afford locally produced ones. I do not design ultra intricate boards but how much would 5 boards 250mm X 250mm cost locally produced including delivery? Maybe not the best but it's matching quality to the project JLCPCB churned out what I wanted.
Thanks MM for the welcome. Not for me to name names. I have had a rather 'snooty' comment from one contributor, perhaps I took it too personally. However if someone tells me that something is better because it's a newer product and declares it better because he says so I start to wonder.
My history. My spark for electronics probably started in primary school going on to grammar school, HND in electrical and electronic engineering. Senior project engineer at Anglia TV. A lot of reading and probably even more private building, experiments and failures. Nothing concentrates the mind more than accidentally applying mains voltage to the base of a bc108, albeit a bc108c. It hit the ceiling.
On a lighter note, my latest project yet another clock, lot up last night. Oh, I was known as Dr Who where I worked as I moved TV studios about in time. Time is a fascinating subject to me.

Last edited:
A real electronic parts and solder distributor fairly sells good quality products. Why buy no-name-brand junk that might be fake or defective from another place?
I used to buy 63/37 Ersin solder made in England. Today my 63/37solder is made by MG Chemicals in USA.
Just yanking your chain audio... Good job we all know you...

Why do so many people hate China? China makes quality parts for American companies to the specifications that American companies demand. American companies have quality control departments that test all China parts. I once lived up north where Unions are, workers are brain washed into believing they need Unions. Union workers spend more time spying on each other to make sure everyone is following Unions rules than they do working. Union workers feel entitled to work slow and get paid $85 per hour. About 30 years ago Air Traffic controllers went on strike for a month then a few weeks later Teamsters went on strike for a month. No air travel for a month then no food in the grocery stores for a month & no gas at the gas stations for a month . Ronald Reagan got on TV and said, UNIONS will NEVER do that to the USA ever again. Guess who signed free trade with China. Guess where all the Union jobs went? Unions did this to them self so live with it. Frank Nitti & Al Capone started Unions to make them self richer.

Last edited:
Why do so many people hate China? China makes quality parts for American companies to the specifications that American companies demand.
Herein lies the problem..

Its not China, it will certain companies within China... These companies last a few weeks , they buy all the "components " that didn't make the specs very cheap and flog them to hobbyists all round the globe.. When they don't work or are incorrectly packaged by the time you demand refunds they are gone and a new company is formed.. These fly by night A'holes create the view that Chinese products are crap..

If you approach the real people and buy 1000's you get a good product..

Why do so many people hate China? China makes quality parts for American companies to the specifications that American companies demand. American companies have quality control departments that test all China parts. I once lived up north where Unions are, workers are brain washed into believing they need Unions. Union workers spend more time spying on each other to make sure everyone is following Unions rules than they do working. Union workers feel entitled to work slow and get paid $85 per hour. About 30 years ago Air Traffic controllers went on strike for a month then a few weeks later Teamsters went on strike for a month. No air travel for a month then no food in the grocery stores for a month & no gas at the gas stations for a month . Ronald Reagan got on TV and said, UNIONS will NEVER do that to the USA ever again. Guess who signed free trade with China. Guess where all the Union jobs went? Unions did this to them self so live with it. Frank Nitti & Al Capone started Unions to make them self richer.
Because people need to trust in something...

No-name-brand companies make and sell many fake products in China. Rice flour for its weight inside cheap batteries. Electrolytic capacitors with a tiny one inside. ETC.

I buy high quality items from local retailers and the manufacturers are also local but have a factory in China with people from here doing the quality control to make sure the products are made properly.

Costco sells Duracell rechargeable batteries with a charger at a very low price so I bought some since Duracell is a local Name-Brand. But the batteries are made in China and have half the mAh ratings of batteries they have made in America or in Japan. Online, Duracell has no datasheets for the cheap batteries.

No-name-brand companies make and sell many fake products in many countries, including Canada and the notion that all Chinese factories have Canadian quality control staff to ensure the products are made properly is something from cloud cuckoo land.

If you're offered a named brand product at a 'very low price', doesn't that make you suspicious ? Just because the package says ' Duracell ' doesn't necessarily mean they came from Duracell.

At a nearby Sunday Market recently I watched 4 policemen and 2 Trading standards officers arresting 2 fellas and seizing 2 full van loads of clothes, jewellery, watches etc .. .. all deemed counterfeit. It wasn't difficult to spot brand names like Adidas, Nike etc on labels and packaging.
I got chatting to one of the trading standards officers who told me the vans contained upwards of £250,000 of fake and counterfeit items, some of which would have to be checked by the manufacturers because the faking was so good.

Counterfeit and fake goods is a worldwide problem and the notion that anything coming from China will be fake is very wrong and even more unfair.

Caveat Emptor, as the saying goes !

MM

No-name-brand companies make and sell many fake products in China. Rice flour for its weight inside cheap batteries. Electrolytic capacitors with a tiny one inside. ETC.

I buy high quality items from local retailers and the manufacturers are also local but have a factory in China with people from here doing the quality control to make sure the products are made properly.

Costco sells Duracell rechargeable batteries with a charger at a very low price so I bought some since Duracell is a local Name-Brand. But the batteries are made in China and have half the mAh ratings of batteries they have made in America or in Japan. Online, Duracell has no datasheets for the cheap batteries.

YES there is a lot of worthless junk crap being sold on the market that may have come from China. I think China learned that from dishonest business men in USA. Look at all the worthless crap on our TV. Look at all the crap on our cell phone and in our mail box and computer. You pay house insurance for many years then time to collect for damage they refuse to pay your contact does not cover that anymore. Give a man a Gun he can rod a bank. Give a man a Bank he can rob the world. Easy way out is blame it on China. I bet a dishonest USA business man ordered those worthless big batteries with little battery inside to be made in China and be sold in USA for a big profit. LOOK at how easy it is to cheap people these days. Bible says, There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back