Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thinking about starting a project...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't go as far as a full cab... I haven't got the space & each & every loco cab / controls are different!!!

Some, you'd get away with a generic type of control, others (like the one we're working on) you wouldn't... that's part of the reason of me trying to do this particular control in question...

Eventually I'd like the power handle / reverser, train brake & loco brake, gauges & ancillary buttons & levers...

As I've said previously (somewhere!!!) small steps...

Chris...

I've just obtained a "line light indicator"...

View attachment 133703
Ok... so the "L" needs modifying to make it more defined (I only had some silver gaffer tape to hand...!!!)...

Would your programme be able to control the functioning of the line light indicator???

Eric
Hi Eric
I have had a look at the 86/87's I have and only the 87 from keithmross WCML2 actually outputs the data for the line light, the 86's from RSC\Class86Pack do not.
With regards to using the light, it depends on what bulb/led is in it and what voltage it requires. If its a 12v bulb then you would need either a transistor as a switch or a relay because the Arduino only handles 5v.
Chris

Here is the list of data I get from the 86/87

Code:
Startup: 1
CompressorState: 0
Ammeter: 323.4308
Current: 323.4659
AbsoluteSpeed: 0
Accelerometer: 210.5479
Acceleration: 1.79648
TractiveEffort: 210.5479
MotorTraction: 323.4308
SpeedometerMPH: 13.09646
AirBrakePipePressurePSI: 72.5
AirBrakePipe: 78
BogiePressure: 0
TrainBrakeCylinderPressurePSI: 0
LocoBrakeCylinderPressurePSI: 0
MainReservoirPressurePSI: 140
Untitled: 0
Untitled: 0
VacuumBrakeChamberPressureINCHES: 0
Vac1: 0
Vac2: 0
VacRelease: 1
Reverser: 1
Regulator: 0.7018263
EngineBrakeControl: 0
TrainBrakeControl: 0
M8Brake: 0
DynamicBrake: 0
EmergencyBrake: 0
Handbrake: 0
VirtualThrottle: 0.6
TapChanger: 9
Horn: 0
PantographControl: 1
PanUp: 0
PanDown: 0
Fault: 0
Sander: 0
Sander: 0
Sanding: 0
AntiSkid: 0
Headlights: 0
Wipers: 0
GlarePanels: 1
Bell: 0
InstrumentLights: 0
AWSReset: 0
AWS: 0
AWSClearCount: 0
AWSWarnCount: 0

I had the TapChanger on notch 9 and this showed about 25% on the Transformer Tap gauge and the ammeter gauges had the needle on the yellow/red intersection reading 14.5. As you can see from the readings above, there is nothing that corolates to these readings, all you have is TapChanger = 9 and Ammeter = 323.4308.
Emulating the brake gauges and speedometer would be OK though.

Chris

Hmmmm...

That's had me thinking all day... It's got a line light that's on but theres nothing saying its on, it just doesn't make sense...

There must be something somewhere saying that its on...???

Eric

It may well be on in the train but, if the designer of the loco does not design the loco to also output the data to the DLL that my program talks to, then there is no way for me to show it. That's why it works on the 87 from keithmross but not the 86 from RSC.
You have the same situation with door light on some loco's, some output the data, some don't, I have no control over that.

A fair number of years ago now, EPE magazine did an unusual project - using surplus mechanical displays (train station type size).

Only unusual because they don't normally do projects with very limited supply of the parts, but in this case apparently the supplier had enough of them to make it a viable project.

My head has been doing a million mph about what can possibly be done... The latest is regarding the flag indicator a few posts back... Further down the line (no pun intended!!!) If I was to create a parking brake control panel, could I replace the "indicator flag" with a "small ish" tft(?) display around 1.3"???

It would be linked to a 3 position switch, when in the left position the display shows a white OFF on a black background...

In the off or neutral position the display shows a white & black diagonal stripy display...

In the right position the display shows a white ON on a black background...

Sorry... this project has really gotten into me now...!!!

If I was to create a parking brake control panel, could I replace the "indicator flag" with a "small ish" tft(?) display around 1.3"???
It's definitely possible, it would just take a bit of programming on an appropriate MCU - possibly the same Arduino as used for other interfacing?

I'm not all that familiar with the various Arduino boards, but possibly something like a Mega or Due, as they have a fast CPU and masses of input & output connectivity?
The Due has more storage and a much faster (ARM) CPU, useful if you will be connecting graphics displays.

Just a little update...

The thread isn't dead... Things are ticking along quietly at the moment... As soon as theres more info I'll let you all know...

Eric

ntypeman .. This project went waaaay of course... Regarding the first post through to when CobraOne entered, we both thought we were designing HS3.... Far more than the initial remit.... I have spoken to JimB and the switch is on a desk waiting for you to get postman Pat to pick it up...

Jim is watching!

If you wish to discuss how to get the prototype switch to you, please PM me.

JimB

I suggest getting a basic model working and then add "options" from there.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back