Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thinking about starting a project...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Chris...

glad you could join us... Hopefully Ian, JimB & some others will be along soon...

What is the best option, resistors or individually wiring the contacts to the arduino...???

Eric

As you also want to create gauges, I would go with the resistors, this also leaves you more pins on the Arduino for adding a train brake,reverser DSD pedal etc.
Chris

CobraOne Yes... I think it more prudent to mimic keystrokes as it would be seamless as far as the game goes..

I have no issues at all using a DLL to extract data from the game, It would appear that the controls would need to be on a separate USB as I don't know if the Arduino can be used as a keypad AND a panel host..

JimB is watching.

Hi Ian
As Eric is making a controller for a specific engine, then Yes I agree, but if he was making a controller to cover many engines, I would recommend the resistor/joystick route because with TS2021 I can exactly match the users joystick with the lever in the train, no matter which train you drive.
I'm not sure you can do both a joystick and keyboard on one Arduino either but you have sparked my curiosity and I might give it a try later.
Chris

Hi Ian
As Eric is making a controller for a specific engine, then Yes I agree, but if he was making a controller to cover many engines, I would recommend the resistor/joystick route because with TS2021 I can exactly match the users joystick with the lever in the train, no matter which train you drive.
I'm not sure you can do both a joystick and keyboard on one Arduino either but you have sparked my curiosity and I might give it a try later.
Chris
That's waaaay above my head... Feel well out my depth now!!!

Just going back to the interlock solenoids, if they need to be constantly energised to release the solenoid, do they produce much heat??? Going back to about 2004 we had some buses with electro-magnetic cab door locks and if I recall correctly, the lock mechanism used to get mighty hot...

Also, what sort of power supply would it require and what type of solenoids could anyone recommend???

Cheers

Eric

Last edited:
That's waaaay above my head... Feel well out my depth now!!!
It sounds more complicated than it is. As you are only going to use the controller on the Class 81-87, you can simply use the Arduino to send keyboard commands. I can help with the wiring and code if you like.

It sounds more complicated than it is. As you are only going to use the controller on the Class 81-87, you can simply use the Arduino to send keyboard commands. I can help with the wiring and code if you like.
On the other hand, if you are going to add a Train Brake, Loco Brake and Reverser, it would be better to convert them all to joysticks using the resistor method.
This can be done on one Arduino Leonard or Pro Micro, saving money :).
Chris

Does that mean 1 arduino will / can control multiple devices (as in power handle, train brake, loco brake, horn etc...)???

I have a real AWS cancel button:

20210913_112902.jpg

20210913_113244.jpg

When I enquired about getting it to work, I was quoted a small fortune for the arduino & associated software... Was I "being had"??? If that's the case, I'm glad I held off!!!

Getting back to the above, does it mean I don't need an individual arduino for the AWS button but would just need to connect it to the arduino that is controlling everything else???

Eric

As you are only going to use the controller on the Class 81-87
Basically yes...

I've got tons of ideas running round my head... A sort of modular system so you can arrange the gauges / controls as you wish... Obviously, the electric loco power handle is unique to, as you quite rightly say the Class 81 - 87's...

I was wondering about creating a "generic" sort of power handle for diesels, and brake handles are pretty generic also but at the moment that's waaaaay off... Running before one can walk springs to mind...:p

Lets just see how we get on for now...

Eric

There are two ways forward.... Keypad / joystick method ( the one we are working on ) This will give you controls that "act" like the real controls.

Or you can have a HID unit that talks to a DLL which in turn talks to the game.. This way you can build a cockpit , bells and whistles, BUT!! Chris already does this... Soooo Just a stick ( as in the first post ) is where we're at! Speedo information isn't readily available for a simple joystick, However! using the DLL could be as easy if a simple program that interfaces the game and the USB device!! I can make one.. But Chis has more experience... I'll just provide the Arduino ( seen as a keypad or joystick )

Eric
You can pick up a Arduino Leonardo for £7, and the library required to turn it into a joystick is free. All my program requires is your device either emulates a joystick or is a proper joystick such as the throttle, prop and mixture used in flight simulators. Using my software you just assign your joystick levers to the relevant levers in TS2020 and thats it, you can then control any loco be it steam, diesel or electric. My software also outputs the data from the gauges to the Arduino through its serial ports so you can attach either LCD's, Seven Segment Displays, stepper motors and servo's as well as LED's to display this information.
You should be able to control all the levers with one Arduino if you convert them to joysticks using the resistor method I have shown above.
Chris

Does that mean 1 arduino will / can control multiple devices (as in power handle, train brake, loco brake, horn etc...)???

I have a real AWS cancel button:

View attachment 133682
View attachment 133683
When I enquired about getting it to work, I was quoted a small fortune for the arduino & associated software... Was I "being had"??? If that's the case, I'm glad I held off!!!

Getting back to the above, does it mean I don't need an individual arduino for the AWS button but would just need to connect it to the arduino that is controlling everything else???

Eric

Yes, just connect to Arduino, and use a debounce subroutine to handle it. Interface a
mechanical button -

Yes on being had, this is all public domain available code and discussions.

Regards, Dana.

Chris...

I've just obtained a "line light indicator"...

20210914_222937.jpg

Ok... so the "L" needs modifying to make it more defined (I only had some silver gaffer tape to hand...!!!)...

Would your programme be able to control the functioning of the line light indicator???

Eric

Last edited:
Can any of you guys please identify this "indicator" or at least its proper name / technical term...

20210914_232902.jpg

20210914_232927.jpg

20210914_232958.jpg

In case you're wondering, it's the parking brake status indicator on a Class 87...

Thanks again

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back