Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thermoelectric Coolers (TEC) or Peltier Sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably.

Used similar ones all the time, although not for generating. It's very inefficient.

There is a max delta t and and a max t. Think of it as a solid state heat pump. Delta T is usually around 40 or 60 C, The current trend is to use PWM to modulate the cooler. Usually we had a water cooled tap water block for one side and we were trying for 25 C on the other. Response time is also slow. Usually you don't have to control the temperature (i.e. PID), just the block voltage. It's advisable to have current limit.

I also used a larger "module" for air to air and air to block modes.

I think Derstrom8 was expecting something like "I think this would be better than my USB coffee warmer" What do you guys think? Besides that I can use it to cool beverages too. DerStrom answered your question. For the standard "What's up?" line, I reply back with "A relative direction, usually that way (and point up)". or for "Do you want to eat in or take out?" If I'm in a playful mood, I'll say "Yes".

These are use in some refrigerators and medical coolers.

That mean yes?

You asked if anybody has used it. I expect someone probably has. Maybe nobody here on the forum, but it wouldn't be sold if at least someone didn't find it useful.

You need to learn to ask more specific questions.

• Model number: TEC1-12706
  • Voltage : 12V
  • Vmax (V) : 15.4V
  • Imax (A) : 6A
  • QMax (W) : 92W
what does 6Amp mean here?

what does 6Amp mean here?

am·pere
ˈamˌpir,ˈamˌper/
noun
  1. a unit of electric current equal to a flow of one coulomb per second.
"6Amp" means there's 6 of them.

Maybe under ideal conditions. You'll need a delta t of 40 to 60 degrees Centegrade to make it happen. Polarity depends on what surface is hotter.

It is Doubtful it will Create 6 Amps out, But even if it could, it would be at a LOW Voltage of LESS than 1 Volt.
Not at the 12 to 15 volt rating.

Last edited:
From the context of the listing to which you linked, those ratings are obviously supply ratings for the device when it is used as a cooler or heater. Your question about what 6 A means has been answered in post #9. Here's another listing for the same device: https://hackerstore.nl/PDFs/TEC1-12706.pdf

Although the device can be used as a poor generator of electricity, no ratings are given for that function in the publication to which you linked. However, a search on "TEG1-12706 reveals the following:
in which it is claimed to produce 0.14V at 2.5 A.

When I was in school studying chemistry, it was commonly said the 2 months in the laboratory would save you almost 2 hours in the library. Have you ever considered trying Google or some other search engine to answer questions about an "off label" hobbyist application? It took less than 3 minutes to find the links herein; your post has been up 3 days.

John

Last edited:
I don't know why I keep reading this thread. Koolguy, every post on here just proves how little you know and how you are unable to learn. Maybe I'm falling into the trap and you're really a troll, if not, then you really need to practice your taxi driver, brick layer, road sweeper skills as electronics is not your forte. Sorry to be so blunt.

Mike.

The 6 Amp Rating on this TE Module is ONLY when Applying Power to it, When it is used for COOLING.
And this Current will also VARY, Depending on the Cold and Hot Side Temperatures.
This does NOT Apply for Generating Electricity from a Hot and Cold Surface!

Jpanhalt and Others: In that Video the guy needs to learn the Proper Way of Applying Silicon Grease.
It Should be Spread Out in a Thin Layer on Both the Heat Sink and the TE Module.
Than the module should be pressed on the Heat Sink and Wiggled a Bit for Even Contact.

If he were using this as a Cooling Unit:
The Way He Did It, It will Not have the Grease EVEN Over the Entire Contact Surface Area.
This can result in HOT SPOTS that can damage the Module!

I have used these loads, many have a temp difference of 80C but I have never pushed past 70C, I have used them to generate electric (check linear technology for drivers etc) and for cooling a fridge that contains ether and such like.

I use them to cool my fish tank lights but use them doubled up for this to drive a small fan on the heat sink side. For making a fridge with highly flammable liquids I like them, for cooling lights I like them and for running low power micro dev boards I like them. But they cant run your house or power a car, check ebay there was a seller offering 10 for about £12 a while back.

Oh and on the side that gets hot you need a decent heat sink and preferably a fan to shift the heat to get the best out of them, depends what you want them to do, dont expect miracles but they have a place

I have this kit as well https://www.linear.com/solutions/1834

but LT do a better board than the one that comes with it, they have alot of info on energy harvesting.

Here are Just a Few of the Many TE Modules I have:

I Also have a Tripe, 3 Stage Module, for a Greater Delta-T.

Large-TE.jpg
Dual TE.JPG

when I said a large heat sink..............that wasnt exactly what I had in mind lol, although the bigger the better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back