Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thermal - Heat Sinks for LM7806CT circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a bent circuit using an LM7806 voltage regulator off of a 12V DC wall wart to get 6V DC. It is a TO-220 package, currently using this little Thermal - Heat Sinks On my circuit.

Is this Heat Sinks good enough for my LM7806CT circuit? Output voltage 6V, input 35V, temperature 40°C ~ 125°C. It's TO-220-3 package.

Thanks in advance.

Depends upon the maximum output load current.
The LM7806 power dissipated will be the input voltage minus the output times the load current or (12V-6V) * ILoad.

With only convection, it says that the thermal resistance of that heatsink is 28.5 degC/W. Assuming you are willing to let the TO-220 get to 100degC with an ambient of 30degC, that is a (100-30) = 70degC rise. So that heatsink will disspitate 70degC*1W/28.degC = 2.46W.

The voltage drop across the 7806 will be (35V-6V)= 29V, so the maximum current will be P/E = 2.46W/29V = 85mA

What is the input voltage? First you said a 12V wall wart then later you said 35V.
What is the load current?

more heat sink the better in a linear current heat dissipation app-
consider the surrounding area and put biggest heat sink you can within those physical limitations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back