Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The world's only isolated, bidirectional, "up or down both ways" SMPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyback

Hello,
The attached is a bi-directional, mains isolated LLC converter, 7kW.
Its for a electric vehicle application whereby the car battery can also be discharged back into the mains.
As far as we know, (do you know otherwise?) this configuration of LLC converter, with the LLC components doubled up and populating both sides of the transformer, is the only way to do it to be sure of getting sufficient voltage gain in both directions. There is no other topology which can be mains isolated and bi-directional, with step-up and step-down in both directions.
It’s obvious what the Upper resonant frequency is, but what inductance value would you give to the magnetising inductance for the equation’s of AN-4151 by fairchildsemi? (L10 // L12 or just L10?)
AN-4151 (page 4 has the “Lm” value for magnetising inductance)
https://www.fairchildsemi.com/application-notes/AN/AN-4151.pdf

Attachments

• Bidirectional LLC converter _7KW.asc
    19.4 KB · Views: 224
  • Bidirectional LLC converter _7K.pdf
    32 KB · Views: 235
Its for a electric vehicle application whereby the car battery can also be discharged back into the mains.
Short range car or very long mains cable? :).

Thanks, that's another story, I see no point in discharging a car battery back into the mains once its charged, but anyway, the marketing people want this.
Anyway, are there any other ways of doing isolated bidirectional smps which steps up or down in either direction?

Yes there is and it's not new by any means.

I figured out the basic concept of how to do it with a handful of common analog parts about 20 years ago and have had threads on it on this site about how to do i that have been here for over 6 years now. .

Read my DIY Grid Tie Inverter threads on the AE section if you want more info.

Doing bidirectional AC><DC is not hard unless you want to make it hard.:p

Last edited:
Consider it a entry level 'You must be at least this smart/competent to work with this stuff.' test and you just failed. :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back