Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The use of a Monitor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

matasoft

How can I use a PC Monitor to display graphics?
For example to display the character 'A' with red color!!!

I dont think you can cause the monitor relies on digital to analog conversion output from a video card which would be pretty complex to rig up with out a computer or lots of microcontrollers and ic's.

I know pin one on a monitor connector is Red Out But i dont know what you need to drive it

Pc monitor signal consists of 5 signals

RED - GREEN - BLUE and VSYNC - HSYNC

V and H sync contain fast pulse trains that indicate vertical and horizontal syncronization signals. The monitor uses these to switch internally to the desired resolution and, obviously, for synchronisation.

Pretty complicated to just create such a signal out of thin air

I know that I have to generate signals for the VSYNC and HSYNC pins but I don't know the sequence to light a pixel. When I know that then I will use a microcontroller as a display driver.

matasoft said:
I know that I have to generate signals for the VSYNC and HSYNC pins but I don't know the sequence to light a pixel. When I know that then I will use a microcontroller as a display driver.

A monitor is simply an analogue display screen, it doesn't have 'pixels', to light a particular point on the screen you need to generate the correct sync and video signals (three video signals, one for each colour) to make the signal high at that exact moment in time.

When I read your post I remember I saw once a place that had a tetris game with a monitor using a PIC16F84 :lol:

So here is the link: **broken link removed**

If you search in google for tetris and PIC16F84 a whole bunch of stuff comes up that might be useful. Good luck

Ivancho

ivancho said:
When I read your post I remember I saw once a place that had a tetris game with a monitor using a PIC16F84 :lol:

It's well worth a look at (although I've never managed to get Tetris to work, but Tennis worked OK) - but bear in mind it's for a standard 625 line, 50 Hz field TV/monitor. A PC monitor is nothing like this, and most multi-sync monitors won't go anywhere near low enough.

this is rickard's site, has pong and tetris for TV... still he has to go to the limit to, get this working on a pic and a pc monitor runs even much faster then a tv... I don't know it is possible

Another way would be to make your controller put it's image results into external RAM and then use a general VGA ramdac to convert it into VGA... takes a load of the pic

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back