Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The next Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

3v0

Coop Build Coordinator
Forum Supporter
This thread is for discussion regarding the next competition. I would like to start with and limit this thread to schedule and judging.

In the last competition people did not like the fact that the judging critera was subjective. Can we have objective judging. It is reasonable to ask contestants to submit working projects for testing?

If you are intersted in providing prizes for the competitions please PM me.

3v0

Last edited:
Re: submitting a working project

Sounds reasonable, if adjustment is made for our geographic distribution. I can imagine some problems, including but not limited to cost, in sending electronic devices across international borders and, possibly, returning them.

Perhaps a system of "referees" could be developed to solve the international problem. The referees would not sit in judgment (like for peer reviewed journals), but would simply verify functionality. In fact, since this is for fun, the contributor could even participate in suggesting his/er own referee. That aspect might actually add to the social networking aspect of our forum. It would be fun to meet people in one's locale with similar interests.

John

I like the idea but I would like to toss it around a bit.

Entrants can submit numbers along with the project. When all entries are in we can have the winning ones verified. That cuts the verification thing down but I am still uncertain if we can pull it off.

Perhaps we can recruite an "offical tester" from the pool of existing members in each region with a winner or contact a University near the winners.

3v0

Submitting a project doesn't have to mean submitting the hardware, good pictures and simple video should suffice, no reason the whole thing couldn't be done online. Given the extremely spread out nature of the user base here getting together would be pretty difficult.

Hey, Hopefully its ok for me to post here.

I agree with Sceadwian, pictures/video and a write up should be sufficient for submission.

Also, for judging you could simplify the process by making the results dependant on quantity rather than quality. If I understand correctly, most judging problems can be circumvented if you make the winner the one who is able to create the best project. Ex: If the goal is to create a gaussian (or coil) gun to shoot a projectile of a certain mass. The winner is the one who effectively builds, and demonstrates, the gun who accelerates the projectile to the greatest speed.

It is totally OK for you to post here.

I am going to play the devils advocate. People would like objective rather then subjective judging. Goals as in highest, fastest, smallest or most efficient sort of thing. These require measurement.

It is easy to measure wrong or even cheat using video. I am not saying that any specific person would cheat. But I am sure there are people who would, even it the prize was just bragging rights. There will hard feelings unless the measurements are made independantly. If anyone has a way to make it work let us know.

Prior to the start of the first competition I was in favor of objective contests. They are not easy to do on line. With the subjective contest everyone knows it is subjective going in.

Hey, Hopefully its OK for me to post here.

I agree with Sceadwian, pictures/video and a write up should be sufficient for submission.

Also, for judging you could simplify the process by making the results dependant on quantity rather than quality. If I understand correctly, most judging problems can be circumvented if you make the winner the one who is able to create the best project. Ex: If the goal is to create a gaussian (or coil) gun to shoot a projectile of a certain mass. The winner is the one who effectively builds, and demonstrates, the gun who accelerates the projectile to the greatest speed.

Goals as in highest, fastest, smallest or most efficient sort of thing. These require measurement.
Well, if you made the goal to be the smallest and lightest while meeting a minimum spec, then sending the projects via mail wouldn't be expensive.
ie: Smallest FM transmitter with a minimum range of xx meters, etc.

Well, if you made the goal to be the smallest and lightest while meeting a minimum spec, then sending the projects via mail wouldn't be expensive.
ie: Smallest FM transmitter with a minimum range of xx meters, etc.

Most of the contest I have seen run this way ask the entrant to pay postage to mail their project. Contest is not responsible for loss or damage to the entry. And if the contestant wants the unit back he has to foot the bill for the postage home and provide a shipping label.

If people are willing to put up with that it could work.

It is easy to measure wrong or even cheat using video. I am not saying that any specific person would cheat. But I am sure there are people who would, even it the prize was just bragging rights. There will hard feelings unless the measurements are made independantly.

I understand what your saying, but I think this sort of question can only be answered when you examine the reason why these sort of competitions exist. Its kindof like a jr. high science fair, they are created to give the students motivation to persue an area of interest and demonstrate their knowledge. If a kid cheats then congratulations, they can brag for about a week until everyone gets sick of them and they can put that shiny, albeit small, trophy or medal on their mantelpiece and tell their grandkids about it. As long as you dont make the prize anything like money, then cheating wont be that large of a problem. If someone goes to the trouble of cheating by editing video or smoke and mirrors then they deserve it. The real prizes go to those who have gained both in knowledge and experience.

Hopefully that makes sense.

I understand what your saying, but I think this sort of question can only be answered when you examine the reason why these sort of competitions exist. Its kindof like a jr. high science fair, they are created to give the students motivation to persue an area of interest and demonstrate their knowledge. If a kid cheats then congratulations, they can brag for about a week until everyone gets sick of them and they can put that shiny, albeit small, trophy or medal on their mantelpiece and tell their grandkids about it. As long as you dont make the prize anything like money, then cheating wont be that large of a problem. If someone goes to the trouble of cheating by editing video or smoke and mirrors then they deserve it. The real prizes go to those who have gained both in knowledge and experience.

I agree with johnny, cheating could be a problem if the prize is money or some other tangible objects. The solution that I propose is that in addition to a video, there should be an explanation of what is going on, and there should also be a schematic that accompanies the circuit. The video should explain what is happening and where on the circuit it is happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back