Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The frequency of light

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have often wondered if it is posible the 'transmit' on the frequency of light! I am well aware that everyone does this every day when they turn on a light bulb! But I was wondering if it's possible using run-of-the-mill Tx equipment and circuits.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, or knows if there have been experiments in this before, I would be most interested. Thanks.

LEDs are light transmitters and can be modulated. The frequency is high, so it is usually given as wavelength. Red is the low frequency (600 nanometers) and blue is the high frequency (400 nanometers).

Speaking of light transmission, the fastist way so far, is by photon entanglement, (hope I spelled that right)...Which means Two photons are created at the same time. This means if one photon changes spin, the other will change at the exact same time know matter how far apart they are..This I read in a photonics Spectra magazine, and this may be a way of sending information faster than ever imagined before....Cool...No?

Yes fiber optics do transmit light in a sense! But you will notice I want to use radio style equipment! Put in a simple, exaggerated way:

Is it possible to doctor a normal HAM radio transmiter to transmit at the frequnecy of light? And if so, what happens when you do?

I'm well aware that you would need a special type of antenna for this, I'd assume something leaning toward and X-ray or microwave diode! And that you really cannot transmit from a standard radio on the right frequencies. But that was just for simplicity.

What coyotesden is talking about is quatum physics! Although it is interesting, and a very viable way or sending very fast data transmissions.

well, I'm not sure how it would work, but anything vibrating at the frequency of light would most likely create light, right?

I don't think any radio equipment would transmit that high of a frequency.

1997 GA16DE said:
well, I'm not sure how it would work, but anything vibrating at the frequency of light would most likely create light, right?

Light is basically energy moving through space in the form of an electromagnetic wave (which means it has an electric and magnetic component). The energy takes the form of a photon. Photons can be created in many ways, but fundamentally, you raise the energy level of an electron in an atom. The electron naturally wants to go back to the lower energy level. As a result it releases the extra energy as a photon with a specific wavelength. The amount of energy released (how far the e- has to go to get back to its energy level) corresponds to the wavelength of the light. So UV photons are high energy and red are low energy. Your household light bulb is a unique case in that it excites so many different atoms (by way of heat) that all sorts of different energy photons are emitted at multiple wavelengths, they all combine to make white light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back