Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Testing and Solder Irons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultr@Dynamic

Can anyone please help me by answering this question for me, its been puzzling me for 3 days.

I have recently started a new job as a test engineer. We use isolated oscilloscopes, and solder irons that run off mains. The other day I was testing a board and the scope and DC power supply with 15V, 5V and 6V rails were connected and supplying power to the PCB. Without disconnecting the PCB I touched up a dry solder joint using the solder iron.

Could this have damaged the board and blown a chip? What if the DC power supply was isolated using an isolated transformer, -could the solder iron still do damage?

Last edited:
It is normally good practise to switch off the power to the board before soldering. Why would you want to do it with the power on? if you accidently create a short your component may be damaged before you get a chance to remove it.

It is possible a cheap and nasty soldering Iron could have damaged something on your board. Do you use any anti static precautions? Most decent soldering irons will be designed to prevent static build up on the iron itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back