Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Test Pilots wanted, Mech building company

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone remember many years ago a website that posted a series of logs from some apparent atempt to use a mass driver style vehicle launcher to put a space 'pod' through a 'recently discovered' wormhole? It was a great series, I kept up with it for a few months before it got too cheesy, but it was billed as being completly dead serious and many people that were 'fans' were convinced it was real, up until the very end. This remind me of that, and it's not the first time I've seen the website.

I however, no matter how much I think about it, can't think of so much as a single situation where such a construct would actually provide ANY advantage, over conventional equipment, especially for the cost. You could put 4000 devices on a swiss army knife and still not have the one you need. Why pay 100 times the price of the specific tool for a general purpose one when the specific one is perfect?

Ever seen the loader from Aliens? A real world forklift could outperform it in every aspect (aside from perhaps climbing stairs) In the end it's up to the operator's skill. I can put the tips of the forks of our lift at work anywhere I want them within a few milimeters if I approach it correctly, and if you watch the Discover channel they have a series which showed a major port's dock crane operator and they were slinging 10+ tonne crates around at unbelievable speeds with accuracy on the order of a half inch from 100 feet in the air.

Last edited:
This is their idea page :D

**broken link removed**

Sceadwian, this sounds like the snake oil salesman huh?

Especially since they use a game controller that you can buy on Amazon for about 65 bucks that looks like a set of bag pipes as the mech's controls.. I've attached a link showing it hooked up to an Xbox...
https://www.medgadget.com/archives/img/433453rutg.jpg

I used to play a game called Descent on the PC which was freeflight combat in a cave environment with a ship that had no gravity but intertial damping, so letting off the control slowed the ship to a stop. I could tripple chord on my keyboard in an ascending spiral helix around a central point only using a keyboard and tapping, and I wasn't even close to being the best at the game.

Sceadwian said:
Does anyone remember many years ago a website that posted a series of logs from some apparent atempt to use a mass driver style vehicle launcher to put a space 'pod' through a 'recently discovered' wormhole? It was a great series, I kept up with it for a few months before it got too cheesy, but it was billed as being completly dead serious and many people that were 'fans' were convinced it was real, up until the very end. This remind me of that, and it's not the first time I've seen the website.

I however, no matter how much I think about it, can't think of so much as a single situation where such a construct would actually provide ANY advantage, over conventional equipment, especially for the cost. You could put 4000 devices on a swiss army knife and still not have the one you need. Why pay 100 times the price of the specific tool for a general purpose one when the specific one is perfect?

Ever seen the loader from Aliens? A real world forklift could outperform it in every aspect (aside from perhaps climbing stairs) In the end it's up to the operator's skill. I can put the tips of the forks of our lift at work anywhere I want them within a few milimeters if I approach it correctly, and if you watch the Discover channel they have a series which showed a major port's dock crane operator and they were slinging 10+ tonne crates around at unbelievable speeds with accuracy on the order of a half inch from 100 feet in the air.

Don't forget the added bonus of defending yourself against a queen alien. I'd like to see you do that with a regular forklift.

theinfamousbob said:
Found this on (of all things) the Myspace video site:

https://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=5860682

Seems like someone beat 'em to it, and this one looks prettier than a bunch of junk parts =D.
It's a toy like design on a large scale, it never picks its feet up off the ground and does not "walk" but slides its feet (on rollers). A curb would stop it in its tracks.

Interesting, not practical though.

I like the look of ED209
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back