Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tesla coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

WG1337

Hi!
I'm going to make a tesla coil.
I have checked many websites and it seems quite simple, altought all they are made for US 140VAC and seems to be too powerful.
What I need is a 220VAC way, but I don't need that much power, I quite need enough power to light a LED or well maybe later a light bulb.
Are there better ways to make this project to not spend that much money (on transformer and capacitor)?
I don't understand the notation well, because we don't have a grounding (only some do), all we have is a minus wire.
If I use something like this: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...0/Tesla_coil_3.svg/496px-Tesla_coil_3.svg.png
where does the grounding for the secondary go?
Also, how does it work? (where does the magnetic field flow and where does the electricity form)

Sounds like this is considerably over your head at this time.

Well only a bit, I don't know the basics because of our teacher (guess SHE has more important things then teaching). So mostly I need to know if I can simply ground everything to the minus wire...
Btw, if I use ~24V AC to DC adapter (for some PC router or something like that) then I pass the transformer part and also a safty gap (it is built in), so after that I would need some capacitors to load up the energy, right?

Are you sure your using the right terms?
140 VAC is too much yet you want to use 220 VAC?

You want to light an LED with a Tesla coil?
LEDs use very DC low power and voltages. 20 -30 Ma at around 2 -4 volts is normal. They will often work on currents a hundred times lower and still give off light.

A Tesla coil is a high voltage high frequency resonate air core transformer. It uses inductance ratios to do the step up from a lower voltage (still several hundred to a few thousand volts) to the much much higher high frequency voltage of tens of thousands to many hundreds of thousands of volts that burst right out into thin air!

Tesla coils are by no means a simple or easy thing to make. There are over a dozen different factors that all have to be properly balanced in regards to one another just for each coil assembly.

Please expand on what it is your trying to attempt to accomplish?
Right now your coming off as a uneducated junior high school kid with no real understanding of what it is your thinking about or planning to do.

I dont mean to sound rude but I think your idea is way over your skills and understandings of basic electrical and electronic principals at this time.

Change in plan, sorry that I made this topic too early.
So now I'm trying to make a really simple inductance experiment that would show that magnetic field can generate electricity. So the problem I'm having is to figure out how to make the coil part. Can you point me to the needed formulas?

Actually this is what I wanted to make: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_K6X-r_QKE&feature=related

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back