Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

skin effect on boost coil in active pfc

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacIntoshCZ

I just realized that I can wind this coil with one wire only, because the current frequency is actually 2*50hz. And so the skin effect will be minimal. Even when the coil is switched 65Khz, the current decreases or increases around the rms value. It doesn't change direction. Am i right? Thanks

EDit:
Actually skin effect should affect only the part where is ripple ripple current

Last edited:
In a PFC there is 65khz ripple current which is a little low to worry about skin effect. How large is the wire?
In my PFC the ripple goes to zero every cycle (65khz).

In a PFC there is 65khz ripple current which is a little low to worry about skin effect. How large is the wire?
In my PFC the ripple goes to zero every cycle (65khz).
Irms = 10A; I am using two 1mm2 wires. Lenght will be aprox 4meters...
And i am using ccm topology.
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
The skin depth at that frequency is 0.255mm so better to use <=0.5mm wire. As your diagram shows you there is plenty of 65Khz current in your inductor so I hope you are using an appropriate core too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back