Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

temperature control unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyn

hi folks can anyone help me with this project the temperature control unit.i will apreciate it.

The unit has to perform the following
functions:

The temperature is to be controlled as a function of light intensity. This means that the darker the ambient
light becomes, the more heat is to be generated by a heating element.
• In order to conserve energy, the part of the system that heats up the element must have the highest
possible efficiency.
• A user interface must inform the user of all operational statuses (e.g. indicator for heater element
ON/OFF).
Design constraints:
The following must be implemented in your design:
• To meet the requirement of high efficient heating, the heater element must be supplied with DC-chopping (pwm).
For this a NE555 timer IC must be used.
• The heater element to be used is a 12 VDC lamp (those used in motor vehicles) which provides good
infra red radiation as a heat source.
• The power supply for the system must be a +12 VDC source (battery or mains operated PSU).

The unit should comply to the following specifications:

• Heater element to be controlled: 60 W (connected externally to the unit via banana connectors
and cables).
• Maximum temperature at 3 cm distance from heater: 40 oC
• Operating voltage: 12 VDC.
• Control voltage: Chopped DC voltage.
• Light sensor: LDR or phototransistor.

Is this a homework or school assignment as the forums have a section dedicated to to just that.

How do you think would be a good way to go about doing this? Do you have a plan, basic circuit?

Ron

Hi thanks for the reply .it is a project .my plan is to use the ldr on pin 5 of the 555 timer,for the pwm part .i also attended to use the resistors R1 and R2 and the cap to give me a ratio of 1000hz .the temperature sensor that must be mounted 3cm from the light source must switch off the circuit if it reaches 40 degrees celcuis so i attended to use a sensing circuit with a comparator coupled to pin4 of the 555 timer .when it reach 40 degrees celcuis the temperature sensor will give a output and i wiil take that output to my comparator (sensing circuit) then it will compare and give a output that will stop the 555 timer.the output of the 555timer pin 3 i attended to use a mosfet to drive the light bulb .im not sure how to implement it and is not sure if it is right.

I would likely think about using a 555 configured in a PWM circuit similar to this or along those lines. For the temperature sensor maybe use a LM35 configured along these lines or a thermistor circuit with a comparator. Maybe use the output of the temperature sensing portion to inhibit the 555 operation with a low when temperature is exceeded.

Just a few thoughts on it. There are likely several other ways to go about it.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back