Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Temp Controlled Soldering Iron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krumlink

Ok, my 3 dollar xytec soldering iron is not giving me all that I want from it (high temps at times, fluctuating heat) and I would like to know if anybody has recommendations for a decent temp controlled soldering iron under 80 dollars. Wellers are very nice, but pricey.

Dont know my self. I learned to solder the old fashion way. Skill and hands on dedication. Learning to watch the solder has always worked well for me but its too hard for the modern ADD kids to pick up! :(
Sort of a lost art now a days. :(

Heres my soldering system. It covers every thing from surface mount to MCM 2000 power cable!

25 watt pencil for small stuff, 100/140 buzz gun for medium stuff, 160/240 buzz gun for big stuff, assorted propane jet torches for the really big stuff. And the trusty old Oxy/Acetylene big Bertha for that insane baseball bat sized 10KA super cable. ;):)

My Weller has automatic temperature control, not variable power control. It is always at the correct temperature and its tip lasts for a very long time.
It is 45 years old and still works like new. Then it costs only about $2.00 per year.

My xytec soldering iron is a few years old, and I have had the same tip for probably a year and a half. Still looks newish.

The weller is the same one we have at robotics, and it is pretty nice. I saw this one, but was unsure of the brand. I did like the soldering pencil though:
MPJA, Inc.

MPJA also sells the Weller knock-offs for a mere $29. We use them in the lab and students haven't managed to destroy one yet and it's been more than a year now. Weller is well known but they have their flubs too. I've owned both good and bad Weller stations and solder guns. I've got an old Ungar (circa early '80s) that won't quit!! My best soldering gun is a Sears that smokes the Wellers.

I have this:
GootPX-201 lead free soldering iron temperature controlled.

It is very nice. GOod temperature and you can get very very narrow tips for it.

EDIT: Wait, did you mean solder pencil? Or solder station? FOr some reason when I first read your post I got the impression of soldering pencil. If you meant station, this one is good:
http://www.hakkousa.com/detail.asp?CID=49,112&PID=1249&Page=1
Of course, if you prefer better marketing you might like this one variation more:
http://www.hakkorc.com/

Last edited:
Just the thread I was looking for. My 40W pencil iron died on me a while back (pretty violently too) and I'm just now looking for a replacement. Want to move up from the $8 Radio Shack irons. :D

You get what you pay for. Spend a few more bucks for a good tool.

If you want cheap then just add a lamp dimmer in series with it.

I bought a cheap temperature controlled iron from Maplin only to discover that it just used a lamp dimmer. It's still a good iron though and is good enough for most things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back